From: rihad on
Hello, I need to install security/p5-Digest-HMAC from the ports, but
_only_ with the currently installed Perl 5.8.8, without it being
upgraded to 5.8.9 as a dependency (because some other software dumps
core with Perl 5.8.9). How can I as a user cleanly tell the system to
stay with 5.8.8 and still be able to upgrade any other port, even all of
them? I have in /etc/make.conf:

PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8

but this isn't enough.
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk has several knobs, which ones can I set in
/etc/make.conf to achieve what I need (stay with perl 5.8.8)?

TIA

From: Matthew Seaman on
rihad wrote:
> Hello, I need to install security/p5-Digest-HMAC from the ports, but
> _only_ with the currently installed Perl 5.8.8, without it being
> upgraded to 5.8.9 as a dependency (because some other software dumps
> core with Perl 5.8.9). How can I as a user cleanly tell the system to
> stay with 5.8.8 and still be able to upgrade any other port, even all of
> them? I have in /etc/make.conf:
>
> PERL_VER=5.8.8
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>
> but this isn't enough.
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk has several knobs, which ones can I set in
> /etc/make.conf to achieve what I need (stay with perl 5.8.8)?

Basically, just don't upgrade perl. The various perl modules will adapt to
whatever version is installed.

If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If you use portmaster(1), create a file
+IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
Flat 3

From: rihad on
Matthew Seaman wrote:
> rihad wrote:
>> Hello, I need to install security/p5-Digest-HMAC from the ports, but
>> _only_ with the currently installed Perl 5.8.8, without it being
>> upgraded to 5.8.9 as a dependency (because some other software dumps
>> core with Perl 5.8.9). How can I as a user cleanly tell the system to
>> stay with 5.8.8 and still be able to upgrade any other port, even all
>> of them? I have in /etc/make.conf:
>>
>> PERL_VER=5.8.8
>> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>>
>> but this isn't enough.
>> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk has several knobs, which ones can I set in
>> /etc/make.conf to achieve what I need (stay with perl 5.8.8)?
>
> Basically, just don't upgrade perl. The various perl modules will adapt to
> whatever version is installed.
> If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in
> /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If you use portmaster(1), create a file
> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/

Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME be
an empty file?

Thank you!

From: rihad on
rihad wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> rihad wrote:
>>> Hello, I need to install security/p5-Digest-HMAC from the ports, but
>>> _only_ with the currently installed Perl 5.8.8, without it being
>>> upgraded to 5.8.9 as a dependency (because some other software dumps
>>> core with Perl 5.8.9). How can I as a user cleanly tell the system to
>>> stay with 5.8.8 and still be able to upgrade any other port, even all
>>> of them? I have in /etc/make.conf:
>>>
>>> PERL_VER=5.8.8
>>> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>>>
>>> but this isn't enough.
>>> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk has several knobs, which ones can I set in
>>> /etc/make.conf to achieve what I need (stay with perl 5.8.8)?
>>
>> Basically, just don't upgrade perl. The various perl modules will
>> adapt to
>> whatever version is installed. If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add
>> 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If
>> you use portmaster(1), create a file
>> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/
>
> Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME be
> an empty file?

portmaster manual says:
/var/db/pkg/*/+IGNOREME
If this file exists, several things will happen:

1. The port will be ignored for all purposes, including
dependency updates, if there is no directory for it in
/usr/ports, and there is no entry for it in
/usr/ports/MOVED.

I don't understand the if part. There _is_ a directory for lang/perl5.8
in ports, so the port _won't_ be ignored?

From: Matthew Seaman on
rihad wrote:
> rihad wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> Basically, just don't upgrade perl. The various perl modules will
>>> adapt to
>>> whatever version is installed. If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add
>>> 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If
>>> you use portmaster(1), create a file
>>> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/

> Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME
> be an empty file?

Yes.

> portmaster manual says:
> /var/db/pkg/*/+IGNOREME
> If this file exists, several things will happen:
>
> 1. The port will be ignored for all purposes, including
> dependency updates, if there is no directory for it in
> /usr/ports, and there is no entry for it in
> /usr/ports/MOVED.
>
> I don't understand the if part. There _is_ a directory for lang/perl5.8
> in ports, so the port _won't_ be ignored?

I don't understand it either. Perhaps that should read "... dependency
updates, *as* if there is no directory for it in..."? Otherwise that
bit of text effectively says that +IGNOREME has no effect for ports that
either exist currently in the ports tree, or that used to and that have an
entry in MOVED. Which would make +IGNOREME pretty useless most of the
time.

Cheers,

Matthew