From: Chad Howsden on
Hello,

I am writing in regards to the skype port for FreeBSD. I currently have
the most recent build of FreeNAS running on a newer server box. If you
are unaware, FreeNAS is built off of the FreeBSD system. I have
successfully installed and configured numerous ports from the
freebsd.org site and am currently interested in the skype application.
I am wondering if the application is has a command line interface as I
don't have an operating system GUI with the FreeNAS server. I am
looking to set up a skype server that allows me to free up my personal
PC from having the phone connected to it. I plan to use a usb to RJ11
skype adapter with the application to allow me to utilize my phone set I
already own. For a more detailed explanation, I plan to do what is done
in this article only on my FreeNAS/FreeBSD box instead of a Linux box.
Could you provide any insight into whether or not I will be able to
accomplish this given the information I have shared with you? I'm a
little nervous about frying everything as I have not played around with
the skype app yet and am unsure of any glitches or "watch-out-fors"
regarding it.

Thank you,

Chad

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:12:11 -0500
Chad Howsden <chad(a)howsden.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing in regards to the skype port for FreeBSD. I currently
> have the most recent build of FreeNAS running on a newer server box.
> If you are unaware, FreeNAS is built off of the FreeBSD system. I
> have successfully installed and configured numerous ports from the
> freebsd.org site and am currently interested in the skype
> application. I am wondering if the application is has a command line
> interface as I don't have an operating system GUI with the FreeNAS
> server. I am looking to set up a skype server that allows me to free
> up my personal PC from having the phone connected to it. I plan to
> use a usb to RJ11 skype adapter with the application to allow me to
> utilize my phone set I already own. For a more detailed explanation,
> I plan to do what is done in this article only on my FreeNAS/FreeBSD
> box instead of a Linux box. Could you provide any insight into
> whether or not I will be able to accomplish this given the
> information I have shared with you? I'm a little nervous about
> frying everything as I have not played around with the skype app yet
> and am unsure of any glitches or "watch-out-fors" regarding it.

I don't think you can do it with the current skype.
However search for the description of skype's API on skype.com.
There is some WIP for a partially open-sourced version, that might
permit this, but nothing it's out yet.

"Intellectual Property" is nowhere near as valuable as "Intellect"
FreeBSD committer -> itetcu(a)FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B