From: Sean Conolly on
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" <ofiol(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote:
>>Headroom is the space between where you are and the ceiling. Simple, eh?
>
> No. Headroom is the space between where you are and where you don't want
> to be
> in terms of analog distortion or digital clipping.
>
>>In an EQ, the maximum amount of cut or boost is always fixed at a given
>>value. Sometimes it's switchable between different values (6dB and 12dB in
>>some graphics), but I've never come across an EQ where there was not a
>>maximum value.
>
> Yes, and depending on the original signal's level, applying maximum gain
> can
> cause it to distort or clip.
>
>>Also, I have never come across any commercially sold EQ,
>>where by applying the maximum boost one would run out of headroom, which
>>means run into distortion or clipping.
>
> See above. It happens all the time.
>
>>So, what you are saying above does not make any sense to me. And
>>"hollowing
>>of specific frequency spectra" does make even less sense, it sounds like
>>something you've made up.
>
> If an original signal can be measured to have a 250 hz. frequency level,
> cutting that frequency or a range around it will hollow out the spectrum.
>
>>ven though most EQs have a maximum level of
>>attenuation, there are examples of EQs that can attenuate to infinity.
>>Usually Notch-Filters, IIRC.
>
> Working with analog, digital and plugin EQs, I have only rarely seen them
> attenuate to infinity.
>
>>That's true, and at the same time bullshit, IMHO. I don't see how the
>>original question would be so urgent as to require a debate via email.
>
> That would depend on Danielle's urgency in solving her problem. I notice
> that
> she has not reposted here since the weekend, indicating that this must be
> sufficiently urgent concern for her.

Well I can certainly tell that you should not be the one trying to guide her
with your thouroghly confused misunderstanding of EQs.

Get the Yamaha sound book and start reading - seriously.

Sean

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 13/02/2010 05:27, in article hl59mg$i7r$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote:

(....)
> Well I can certainly tell that you should not be the one trying to guide her
> with your thouroghly confused misunderstanding of EQs.
>
> Get the Yamaha sound book and start reading - seriously.

Another nice intro into EQs is:

http://www.rane.com/note122.html

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Phil W on
Orlando Enrique Fiol:

> Although I know she could be a male with an
> Italian name

Well, you might update your "knowledge" of the Italian orthography.
The male Italian version is spelled "DanieLe" -> with only 1 L !!!

The OP�s name is "DanieLLe" with 2 L
-> rather a typical French female name

It seems, you know as much about Italian and French prename spelling, as
about headroom...

From: Phil W on
Orlando Enrique Fiol:

>> That's true, and at the same time bullshit, IMHO. I don't see how the
>> original question would be so urgent as to require a debate via
>> email.

Me neither. To me it rather seemed as a question out of general interest
with absolutely no sign of "aaaaaaaargh, I need to mix a gig in 2 days and
don�t know what to do!!! can somebody please help me as quick as possible?!"

> That would depend on Danielle's urgency in solving her problem. I
> notice that she has not reposted here since the weekend, indicating
> that this must be a sufficiently urgent concern for her.

Oh, you understand that it�s obviously not very urgent. Fine!
What I still don�t understand is your logic, why a community of seasoned
live sound professionals, that have posted here for several years and are
reknowned for their work and knowledge, should *not* be a better resource
for information, than a single person via email. The reaction in a NG, where
several people can answer, might be well quicker...

Sorry, but to me it just seems like you don�t even notice, how contradictory
your assumptions and assertions actually are.

Sometimes, and that is usually *very* often, is just the best to stick to
the most basic logic and build up from there. ;-)

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol on
Phil W <phw(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>Well, you might update your "knowledge" of the Italian orthography.
>The male Italian version is spelled "DanieLe" -> with only 1 L !!!
>The OP?s name is "DanieLLe" with 2 L
>-> rather a typical French female name
>It seems, you know as much about Italian and French prename spelling, as
>about headroom...

No, it seems that I'm totally blind, use a screen reader and sometimes
encounter words that are not pronounced as they are spelled. I studied both
French and Italian for years and speak them fluently, which has little to do
with orthography in my case.

Orlando
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2