From: JohnO on
I installed Frontpage2003 in my new Windows7, and all went well........I
think! When I try to download or upload to my website, I get the following
message in a windows security window:

"Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent
in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."

I am not sure what to do. I contacted my domain techs, and they say it
sounds like some setting in Windows is blocking my being able to publish from
Frontpage. Please!!!!!!! Any thoughts? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Ronx on
Basic Authentication is normal, and is not secure
- hence the warning.
Click OK and continue.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

JohnO presented the following explanation :

From: JohnO on
I cannot just click OK....................when I do it just keeps popping up
the same message box! Any other ideas?

From: Ronx on
I managed to reproduce the problem on my test server. In my case, the credentials dialogue showed the userId as:
192.168.1.231/Ron (I access this site with an IP address, not a domain like http://example.com)

Using this and the correct password, with authentication in IIS set to Basic only, the dialogue repeated every time I pressed enter.

Change the userId to:
Ron (without the IP address or domain) and the credentials worked - the website opened.

I suggest you try using just your userID, not domain/userId in the dialogue.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

JohnO was thinking very hard :

From: JohnO on
" I suggest you try using just your userID, not domain/userId in the dialogue."

That is how I have been doing it...(user ID and password).

A local tech that looked at it claimed it was a problem with the software
(Frontpage2003) not Windows7, but I also downloaded CuteFTP, and it will not
work either. There has to be something in Windows7 that is not set properly,
but no one seems to have a clue as to what. I cannot seem to get Windows7 to
allow Frontpage publishing, or the use of FTP. I am considering returning
this new PC with Windows7, and getting a used machine with XP installed.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! I really do like this new PC, but I also wish to
continue work on my website. Thanks!