From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
I'm enjoying reading Hot Chips presentations.

I'm - happy? chuffed? not surprised? interested? - to see one of the
last bastions of RISC fall down. Fujitsu has added an instruction
prefix. Albeit a 32 bit instruction prefix, not an 8 bit prefix like
the amd x86-64 REX byte. But same idea. New register for the prefix state.

Also specifies extended opcodes for new instructions.

Pardon the mess, but I'll just cut and paste the text from the slide:

Large register sets 2/2

Instruction format for 256 FP registers

8 bit x 4 (3 read +1 write) register number fields are necessary for FMA
(Floating-point Multiply and Add) instruction.

But SPARC-V9 instruction length is limited (32bits �fixed)

Defined a new prefix instruction (SXAR) to specify upper-3bit of
register numbers of the following two instructions.

SXAR
inst1
inst2
Lower-5bit x4
Upper-3bit x4

SXAR (Set XAR) instruction

XAR: Extended Arithmetic Register
�Set by the SXAR instruction
�Valid bit is cleared once the corresponding subsequent instruction gets
executed.

Operand fields of SXAR
fv
furd
furs1
furs2
furs3
sv
surd
surs1
surs2
surs3
31
0
fsimd
ssimd
16
15
First Upper Register Source-1 bits

SXAR1: set XAR for subsequent one instruction.

SXAR2: set XAR for subsequent two instructions.