From: Coop on
Jeffrey, thanks for your feedback. There are a couple factors that influence
my question re full vs simple. I do indeed use a maint plan to do DB and
tran log backups for any DBs that are not already installed by default with
simple mode. However, a frustrating problem for me is that my maint plans
don't reliably expire previous backups, so they accumulate on the volume
where I store them and I have to delete them manually. I've experienced this
with 2000 and now 2005. Of course, I do need to research the issue again and
hopefully find a proper solution.

Secondly, I work with a network admin who insists on relying on Symantec
Backup Exec to recover databases. He doesn't seem too interested in dealing
with point-in-time restores. It works well, but to the best of my knowledge,
doesn't manage tran log backups/restores. Again, I'll revisit the
capabilities of Backup Exec.

Finally, i mispoke about "managing user expectations". I agree that
business requirements should drive my backup & restore policy, and will
develop the policy with business users.