From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:03:22 -0600, Wes wrote:

> I took "HP Basic" to mean programing in Algebraic Mode.

That's indeed what HP proffered as "Basic"

Your illustrative program, however, is "basically" RPL,
with a few special constructions needed to enter it in ALGebraic mode.

Not that actual "Basic" is at all a good programming language,
but just to point out how hard HP marketing tried
to make the HP49G appear like the TI calculator line.

> The only time I find Algebraic mode to be more convenient is when
> doing recursive equations using Ans(1), Ans(2),...

Plus the few expressions which can not be compiled at all in RPN mode,
due to a compiler bug, e.g. 'LIMIT(n^2,n=3)' or 'lim(n^2,n=3)'
(correct syntax, but compiler marks "=" as "Invalid Syntax")

The program posted by Wes can be entered directly in RPN mode,
by enclosing the entire source in back-quotes [`]

When viewed in RPN mode, the compiled program is found to be RPL,
but containing several individual back-quoted pieces.

By the way, can ALGebraic mode "source" be transferred directly as text,
using the transfer software, by first putting the calc into ALG mode?
(I've never tried this)

Basic? Bah! Humbug!

Merry Christmas anyway :)

..