From: Stephen Leake on
zeta_no <olivier_henley(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> On May 18, 8:56 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>
>> I think that all your problems are because of this ugly setup of
>> yours. While I think it must be possible to use GPS with several
>> different versions of GNAT, I'm not going to investigate the details
>> of why you fail; rather, out of curiosity, I'd like to know why you
>> think you must mix the GNAT GPL Edition with the Ubuntu packages, i.e.
>> what problem are you trying to solve that neither GNAT GPL Edition nor
>> Ubuntu can solve alone?
>
> No, I don't think I must mix the GNAT GPL Edition and the Ubuntu
> packages, I did it because it has been the only successful combination
> capable of building the excepts.gpr project, an Ada_CPP project.
>
> When you install GNAT, GPS and GPRbuild from Ubuntu, it looks to me
> that when you load the except.gpr project, GPS by default, tries to
> build with gnatmake, not GPRbuild.

Did you file a bug report on this? As Ludovic pointed out, it may be a
problem with the gpr file, but it could be something else.

I maintain gprbuild for Debian, so I'd like to resolve this issue.

--
-- Stephe
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Stephen Leake wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Did you file a bug report on this? As Ludovic pointed out, it may be a
> problem with the gpr file, but it could be something else.

I did: http://bugs.debian.org/582219

(sorry for the bad formatting; blame that stupid webmail)

> I maintain gprbuild for Debian, so I'd like to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately I don't think it would be that easy; the only way would
be to "downgrade" the ada_cpp example to something that gnat-4.4 can
handle.

To the OP: note that it is *always* possible to interface Ada with C++
even without the new features of GNAT GPL 2009; it just takes more
effort. In the worst case, you wrap the C++ classes and methods in a
C interface and use pragma Import on that C interface. But gnat-4.4
already has some special support for C++, so the worst case is
unlikely.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Stephen Leake wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
> > The Ubuntu maintainers are not here on this forum.
>
> That's interesting. Is there anything we can do about that?

I don't know. I don't know these people and I don't know whether they
are specifically interested in Ada or just take random Debian unstable
packages and recompile them in Ubuntu (Ubuntu packages do not have a
designated maintainer like in Debian; they all belong to the "Masters
Of The Universe", as they call themselves; "Universe" really means
"everything not on the Ubuntu installation CD-ROM"). I have no idea
what their release coordination looks like and, TBH, I am not really
interested; I already have enough work as it is and a 6-month release
schedule is much too tight for me.

> In the spirit of the recent discussion on debian-project, we should try
> to encourage cooperation between Debian and Ubuntu Ada people.

Maybe. That's off-topic for this newsgroup, though.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Stephen Leake on
Ludovic Brenta <ludovic(a)ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>> Did you file a bug report on this? As Ludovic pointed out, it may be a
>> problem with the gpr file, but it could be something else.
>
> I did: http://bugs.debian.org/582219

That's not the problem the OP reported; they said "it runs gnatmake, not
gprbuild".

The problem you reported I also noticed. It is fixed in newer upstream
versions of gnat Pro.

> (sorry for the bad formatting; blame that stupid webmail)
>
>> I maintain gprbuild for Debian, so I'd like to resolve this issue.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think it would be that easy; the only way would
> be to "downgrade" the ada_cpp example to something that gnat-4.4 can
> handle.

The other way is to wait for the latest upstream gnat Pro to make it
into Debian.

--
-- Stephe
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Stephen Leake wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>> Stephen Leake wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>>> Did you file a bug report on this? As Ludovic pointed out, it may be a
>>> problem with the gpr file, but it could be something else.
>
>> I did:http://bugs.debian.org/582219
>
> That's not the problem the OP reported; they said "it runs gnatmake, not
> gprbuild".

IIUC, that's what the OP *thought* was the problem but it wasn't.

>> Unfortunately I don't think it would be that easy; the only way would
>> be to "downgrade" the ada_cpp example to something that gnat-4.4 can
>> handle.
>
> The other way is to wait for the latest upstream gnat Pro to make it
> into Debian.

Actually the new features are also in the just-released GCC 4.5.0; the
Ada part is not yet packaged for Debian.

--
Ludovic Brenta.