From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Sigh. Sounds like some problems with GDI+, or possibly that Flash control. Maybe you
could create a trivial little app that ran a Flash animation endlessly, and see if it
failed all on its own. That's the next thing I'd try if I were trying to figure this out.
Then I'd try the app but condition out the Flash animation and see if it failed.

It doesn't help that Microsoft treats professional systems like Win16 boxes and puts silly
limits on GDI resources (which are allocated globally, not per-process, so if I have 50
processes running, I run out of GDI resources, on a $%&! 4GB 2.8GHz quad processor! Give
me a break, people, this is a professional world with professional users with professional
demands for resources! It would not at all surprise me if they haven't fixed this
stupidity in Win7, or maybe even made it worse)
joe

From: Tom Serface on
I don't know about this particular issue, but I've found Windows 7 has fixed
a lot of issues I had with Vista. I'm happily updating my systems one by
one.

Tom

From: Anders Dalvander on
On Dec 22 2009, 4:25 pm, "Bogdan" <bog...(a)nocompany.com> wrote:
> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot this
> one?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

It has been some time since you last posted in this thread, but I hope
you or someone else stops by anyway.

I have similar problems as you, I have a working application which
works fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but when running it on
Windows 7 I get GDI leaks.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Regards,
Anders Dalvander
From: Bogdan on

"Anders Dalvander" <google(a)dalvander.com> wrote in message
On Dec 22 2009, 4:25 pm, "Bogdan" <bog...(a)nocompany.com> wrote:
> Could anyone please give some ideas/pointers about how to troubleshoot
> this
> one?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> It has been some time since you last posted in this thread, but I hope
> you or someone else stops by anyway.

> I have similar problems as you, I have a working application which
> works fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but when running it on
> Windows 7 I get GDI leaks.
>
> Did you find a solution to your problem?
>
> Regards,
> Anders Dalvander

I have not been able to find a working solution. I did however make some
progress by disabling on-board nvidia and putting in pcie ATI 44* Radeon. I
no longer experience any drawing related issues. But I'm not completely out
of the woods. The app now leaks about 30 MB of memory per hour! The same
app runs at ~75 MB of memory for weeks on XP and W2K. I think that Win7 is
not quite ready yet (hardware, drivers, decoders, etc.) to run 24x7. I hope
that hardware/drivers will mature soon on Win7 so we can retire XP.

Bogdan

From: Anders Dalvander on
On Jan 19, 8:07 pm, "Bogdan" <bog...(a)nocompany.com> wrote:
> I have not been able to find a working solution.  I did however make some
> progress by disabling on-board nvidia and putting in pcie ATI 44* Radeon.  I
> no longer experience any drawing related issues.  But I'm not completely out
> of the woods.  The app now leaks about 30 MB of memory per hour!  The same
> app runs at ~75  MB of memory for weeks on XP and W2K.  I think that Win7 is
> not quite ready yet (hardware, drivers, decoders, etc.) to run 24x7.  I hope
> that hardware/drivers will mature soon on Win7 so we can retire XP.
>
> Bogdan

I was successful in resolving my issue, it was due to a programming
error on my part. It appears that Windows 7 is stricter regarding
cleanup order than previous Windows versions, and we were releasing a
DC that had a GDI object selected. Tested a lot of GDI object counting
tools, and all of them reported different numbers, which is a bit
strange.

Regards,
Anders