From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 23:01, Darius stood up and addressed the
masses in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

> I have a clean install of Mandriva 2007 Free, the package manager (and
> urpmi) says that GLIB is installed, however trying to install Xmms at
> the ./configure stage generates the following error:
>

> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no
> *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to glib-config.
> configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install
> first ***
>

> Can anyone help out how to solve this? I am a newbie to Linux, and
> certainly don't know of a "path" setting in it. The package manager
> says that GLIB is at least on version 2.

If you're using Mandriva, configure your /urpmi/ sources and then you'll be
able to download and install an /.rpm/ package for /XMMS./ If you're a
newbie, then don't try compiling anything just yet until you know what
everything is.

Go here...

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

.... and follow the steps to set your /urpmi/ sources. You can then
use /urpmi/ from the commandline or - if so desired - the graphical
software manager to download and install packages and keep your system up
to date. ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Unruh on
Darius <Darius@::1.t> writes:

>I have a clean install of Mandriva 2007 Free, the package manager (and
>urpmi) says that GLIB is installed, however trying to install Xmms at
>the ./configure stage generates the following error:

>checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no
>*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
>*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>*** full path to glib-config.
>configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install
>first ***

>Can anyone help out how to solve this? I am a newbie to Linux, and
>certainly don't know of a "path" setting in it. The package manager
>says that GLIB is at least on version 2.

It looks to me like you did not install the development packages for glibc.

urpmi glibc-devel

From: John Hasler on
Darius writes:
> I have a clean install of Mandriva 2007 Free, the package manager (and
> urpmi) says that GLIB is installed, however trying to install Xmms at the
> ./configure stage generates the following error:

Why don't you just install the Mandriva Xmms package? Why are you trying
to build from source?
--
John Hasler
john(a)dhh.gt.org
From: Robert M. Riches Jr. on
On 2006-12-06, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Darius <Darius@::1.t> writes:
>
>>I have a clean install of Mandriva 2007 Free, the package manager (and
>>urpmi) says that GLIB is installed, however trying to install Xmms at
>>the ./configure stage generates the following error:
>

>>checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no
>>*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
>>*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>>*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>>*** full path to glib-config.
>>configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install
>>first ***
>

>>Can anyone help out how to solve this? I am a newbie to Linux, and
>>certainly don't know of a "path" setting in it. The package manager
>>says that GLIB is at least on version 2.
>
> It looks to me like you did not install the development packages for glibc.
>
> urpmi glibc-devel

Isn't glib a graphics library, while glibc is a general C
runtime library? Wouldn't it be libglib*-devel the OP
needs?

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: Unruh on
"Robert M. Riches Jr." <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:

>On 2006-12-06, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Darius <Darius@::1.t> writes:
>>
>>>I have a clean install of Mandriva 2007 Free, the package manager (and
>>>urpmi) says that GLIB is installed, however trying to install Xmms at
>>>the ./configure stage generates the following error:
>>

>>>checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no
>>>*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
>>>*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>>>*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>>>*** full path to glib-config.
>>>configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install
>>>first ***
>>

>>>Can anyone help out how to solve this? I am a newbie to Linux, and
>>>certainly don't know of a "path" setting in it. The package manager
>>>says that GLIB is at least on version 2.
>>
>> It looks to me like you did not install the development packages for glibc.
>>
>> urpmi glibc-devel

>Isn't glib a graphics library, while glibc is a general C
>runtime library? Wouldn't it be libglib*-devel the OP
>needs?

Oops.
rpm -qi libglib2.0_0
Glib is a handy library of utility functions. This C
library is designed to solve some portability problems
and provide other useful functionality which most
programs require.

Glib is used by GDK, GTK+ and many applications.
You should install Glib because many of your applications
will depend on this library.

This package contains the library needed to run programs dynamically
linked with the glib.

So yes, he probably wants

urpmi libglib2.0_0-devel