From: Koning Betweter on
On 2010-07-31 19:02:31 +0200, Jim Thompson said:

> I suspect it costs more per mile to operate electrically than via
> gasoline. But I can't find anything on the Volt website other than
> obfuscated "specifications".

I don't think so, at least in the country where I am living.
Gasoline is sold with much more taxes as electricity, so you can drive
about a few hundred miles for just $50.00. It's about ten times cheaper
to drive elecrtical.

BTW: you don't need as much energy as with fuel, because you only spent
energy when you move.
It doesn't make a dirty smell in our small streets, so it's better for
our health.

We only need better solarcells to load the batteries, loading batteries
by burning fuel is a bad option. Driving an electric car is preferable
in all ways, except the low sound it produce. You need to look around
better when you want to cross the street.

KB

From: krw on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 15:32:32 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:57:41 +0800, Ross Herbert <rherber1(a)bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:03:24 -0400, "Martin Riddle" <martin_rid(a)verizon.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>:
>>:
>>:"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote
>>:in message news:0ok6561m4ftedj3mv5368vmm8gdc432fln(a)4ax.com...
>>:> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:14:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
>>:> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>:>
>>:>>GM's Electric Lemon...
>>:>>
>>:>>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/opinion/30neidermeyer.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
>>:>>
>>:>> ...Jim Thompson
>>:>
>>:> Anyone have any idea how many kWh of charge is required for the
>>:> "electric range" of 40 miles?
>>:>
>>:> ...Jim Thompson
>>:
>>:
>>:From the chevy web site, it looks like ~ 13kwh.
>>:That's from their $1.50 a day and 12c a kwh.
>>:
>>:<http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/default/future/volt.do>
>>:
>>:But, I hear the Prius's batteries tend to become unbalance after a few
>>:years, and they need to be painstakenly charged and balanced.
>>:
>>:I'm not convinced yet.
>>
>>Me neither....
>>
>>All of the DIY electric vehicles I have inspected employ a cell equalisation
>>circuit on every lithium-ion cell in the string. I guess that would be just too
>>expensive for GM.
>
>Got to be done if you want best life out of the battery pack, they
>just need to cover warranty period? People buy on price, don't look
>at the cut corners manufacturers make to meet the low price demand.

The warranty is 100K miles or 8 years. That's quite a long life to not have
equalization, I agree. Of course the fine print in the warranty could have
such a low threshold of operation that it doesn't matter. Yeah, my wife's 3+
year old laptop battery works, but not for a useful amount of time.

>Like the older new cars that one had to remove original plugs and
>fit grease nipples in order to perform normal maintenance? You
>wouldn't guess the proper part cost much more?

Except that greasing the linkages wasn't considered "normal maintenance". They
were "permanently lubricated".
From: krw on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:43:04 +0200, Koning Betweter <Koning(a)Stumper.nl> wrote:

>On 2010-07-31 19:02:31 +0200, Jim Thompson said:
>
>> I suspect it costs more per mile to operate electrically than via
>> gasoline. But I can't find anything on the Volt website other than
>> obfuscated "specifications".
>
>I don't think so, at least in the country where I am living.
>Gasoline is sold with much more taxes as electricity, so you can drive
>about a few hundred miles for just $50.00. It's about ten times cheaper
>to drive elecrtical.

You don't think they're going to replace that lost revenue somehow?

>BTW: you don't need as much energy as with fuel, because you only spent
>energy when you move.
>It doesn't make a dirty smell in our small streets, so it's better for
>our health.

Ban diesels. Modern gasoline engines are quite clean, forgetting the CO2
hysteria.

>We only need better solarcells to load the batteries, loading batteries
>by burning fuel is a bad option. Driving an electric car is preferable
>in all ways, except the low sound it produce. You need to look around
>better when you want to cross the street.

Complete nonsense.
From: Jim Yanik on
Koning Betweter <Koning(a)Stumper.nl> wrote in news:2010080116430434228-
Koning(a)Stumpernl:

> On 2010-07-31 19:02:31 +0200, Jim Thompson said:
>
>> I suspect it costs more per mile to operate electrically than via
>> gasoline. But I can't find anything on the Volt website other than
>> obfuscated "specifications".
>
> I don't think so, at least in the country where I am living.
> Gasoline is sold with much more taxes as electricity, so you can drive
> about a few hundred miles for just $50.00. It's about ten times cheaper
> to drive elecrtical.
>
> BTW: you don't need as much energy as with fuel, because you only spent
> energy when you move.
> It doesn't make a dirty smell in our small streets, so it's better for
> our health.

newer cars don't make that "dirty smell".(US cars,perhaps..)

> We only need better solarcells to load the batteries, loading batteries
> by burning fuel is a bad option. Driving an electric car is preferable
> in all ways, except the low sound it produce. You need to look around
> better when you want to cross the street.
>
> KB

in your country,they might make sense. In the vast USofA,they don't.
They don't have the range.

I note your country gets more than 1/3 of it's electric power from
oil,another 45% from natural gas.

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/energy_policy/doc/factsheets/mix/mix_nl_en.pdf

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:48:27 -0500, Jim Yanik <jyanik(a)abuse.gov>
wrote:

>Koning Betweter <Koning(a)Stumper.nl> wrote in news:2010080116430434228-
>Koning(a)Stumpernl:
>
>> On 2010-07-31 19:02:31 +0200, Jim Thompson said:
>>
>>> I suspect it costs more per mile to operate electrically than via
>>> gasoline. But I can't find anything on the Volt website other than
>>> obfuscated "specifications".
>>
>> I don't think so, at least in the country where I am living.
>> Gasoline is sold with much more taxes as electricity, so you can drive
>> about a few hundred miles for just $50.00. It's about ten times cheaper
>> to drive elecrtical.
>>
>> BTW: you don't need as much energy as with fuel, because you only spent
>> energy when you move.
>> It doesn't make a dirty smell in our small streets, so it's better for
>> our health.
>
>newer cars don't make that "dirty smell".(US cars,perhaps..)
>

>> We only need better solarcells to load the batteries, loading batteries
>> by burning fuel is a bad option. Driving an electric car is preferable
>> in all ways, except the low sound it produce. You need to look around
>> better when you want to cross the street.
>>
>> KB
>>

>in your country,they might make sense. In the vast USofA,they don't.
>They don't have the range.
>
>I note your country gets more than 1/3 of it's electric power from
>oil,another 45% from natural gas.
>
>http://ec.europa.eu/energy/energy_policy/doc/factsheets/mix/mix_nl_en.pdf

Europeons seem to bloviate a lot over things they know so little
about.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.