From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 27 May 2010 14:41:58 +0200, <stefan-lucks(a)see-the.signature> a
écrit:
> Because students appreciate coherent concepts.
>
> More specifically: There is a syntactic gap between SPARK and Ada. I had
> given a course on Ada and SPARK recently, and my students seem to be
> permanently tempted to focus on the Ada-part, while contracts and proofs
> where considered a more "optional" add-on, rather than a necessary and
> integral part of their work.
I see, and I believe this question is close to a kind of ergonomic matter
(there is something like ergonomy in languages too).

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
--# check C and WhoKnowWhat and YouKnowWho;
From: (see below) on
On 27/05/2010 13:41, in article
Pine.LNX.4.64.1005271422490.30605(a)medsec1.medien.uni-weimar.de,
"stefan-lucks(a)see-the.signature" <stefan-lucks(a)see-the.signature> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010, (see below) wrote:
>
>> On 26/05/2010 14:02, in article
>> Pine.LNX.4.64.1005261455260.26620(a)medsec1.medien.uni-weimar.de,
>> "stefan-lucks(a)see-the.signature" <stefan-lucks(a)see-the.signature> wrote:
>>
>>> I am a university teacher. For me, it makes quite a difference if I either
>>> explain students one coherent language where contracts are an integral part
>>> of (like Eiffel), or one programming language plus an additional language
>>> for the annotations.
>>>

>> Why?
>
> Because students appreciate coherent concepts.

But concepts /= language notations.

> More specifically: There is a syntactic gap between SPARK and Ada. I had
> given a course on Ada and SPARK recently, and my students seem to be
> permanently tempted to focus on the Ada-part, while contracts and proofs
> where considered a more "optional" add-on, rather than a necessary and
> integral part of their work.

Is that an inaccurate perception? SPARK contracts and proofs ARE add-ons.

My experience is that CS/SE students always focus on "coding" at the expense
of problem analysis, program design, project planning, verification,
validation, documentation, and anything else they find less congenial.
I doubt that the SPARK notation has much to do with that.

> Beware: My students are some of the people who will
> write the software you will use tomorrow. ;-)

Since they are learning SPARK/Ada I am less worried by that than I might
otherwise have been. 8-)

Beware: My ex-students are some of the people who
wrote the software you are using today. ;-)

--
Bill Findlay
<surname><forename> chez blueyonder.co.uk

From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 27 May 2010 17:21:57 +0200, (see below)
<yaldnif.w(a)blueyonder.co.uk> a écrit:
> My experience is that CS/SE students always focus on "coding" at the
> expense
> of problem analysis, program design, project planning, verification,
> validation, documentation, and anything else they find less congenial.
I always though this was not so much with these students. So why do they
choose it if they are not aware of what it requires ?

> Beware: My ex-students are some of the people who
> wrote the software you are using today. ;-)

You're teacher too like Stefan ?

From: Brian Drummond on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 05:16:14 +0200, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:

>Le Thu, 27 May 2010 17:21:57 +0200, (see below)
><yaldnif.w(a)blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit:
>> My experience is that CS/SE students always focus on "coding" at the
>> expense
>> of problem analysis, program design, project planning, verification,
>> validation, documentation, and anything else they find less congenial.
>I always though this was not so much with these students. So why do they
>choose it if they are not aware of what it requires ?
>
>> Beware: My ex-students are some of the people who
>> wrote the software you are using today. ;-)
>>
>You're teacher too like Stefan ?

If you learned Pascal, there's a pretty good chance you learned it from
his book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PASCAL-Introduction-Methodical-Programming-Instructions/dp/0273021885/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275561327&sr=1-1

- Brian
From: (see below) on
On 03/06/2010 04:16, in article op.vdpfdcgoxmjfy8(a)garhos, "Yannick Duch�ne
(Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Le Thu, 27 May 2010 17:21:57 +0200, (see below)
> <yaldnif.w(a)blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit:
>> My experience is that CS/SE students always focus on "coding" at the
>> expense
>> of problem analysis, program design, project planning, verification,
>> validation, documentation, and anything else they find less congenial.
> I always though this was not so much with these students. So why do they
> choose it if they are not aware of what it requires ?

They are aware. That makes no difference.

>> Beware: My ex-students are some of the people who
>> wrote the software you are using today. ;-)
>>
> You're teacher too like Stefan ?

Was. Now I'm a free man. 8-)