From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
Hi all, hope you have a merry Christmas in peace

Compiling AdaDep, I've noticed different behaviors when compiling with
and without the provided GPR file.

When the compilation is done without the GPR file, I have to give
gnatmake, the path for the ASIS source directory with an -I option.

When the compilation is done with the GPR file, this option is not
needed while there is no directory specification at all for the ASIS
library path in the GPR file.

So, it seems search paths are not the same with and without a GPR
file.

I've searched the web about it, and did not find a clear explanation.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gnat_ugn_unw/Search-Paths-for-gnatbind.html
and http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gnat_ugn_unw/Search-Paths-and-the-Run_002dTime-Library-_0028RTL_0029.html
are just talking about ADA_PRJ_OBJECTS_FILE and ADA_PRJ_INCLUDE_FILE,
but lack explanation about how these are assigned.

Why are the paths not the same with and without a GPR file and what
are formally the difference when a a GPR file is or is not used ?

By the way, just because I feel inquisitive with it : did someone know
what is the license of the GPRBuild language ?
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen on
Hibou57 (Yannick Duch�ne) a �crit :
> Hi all, hope you have a merry Christmas in peace
>
> Compiling AdaDep, I've noticed different behaviors when compiling with
> and without the provided GPR file.
>
> When the compilation is done without the GPR file, I have to give
> gnatmake, the path for the ASIS source directory with an -I option.
>
> When the compilation is done with the GPR file, this option is not
> needed while there is no directory specification at all for the ASIS
> library path in the GPR file.

The provided build.gpr has a "with asis" line. This will search for an
asis.gpr file.

If (as recommended) you installed ASIS under the gnat root directory,
there is an asis.gpr file in <gnat-root>/lib/gnat, which is always a
default location for .gpr files.

No such mechanism exists if you don't use project files.

J-P. Rosen (rosen(a)adalog.fr)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
Thanks for this reply

On 28 déc, 11:21, Jean-Pierre Rosen <ro...(a)adalog.fr> wrote:
> The provided build.gpr has a "with asis" line.
Found, I've first missed it as it is the first line and I surprisingly
oftenly miss any first line if it is not preceded by a blank line (do
not know why, cognitivism may tell more).

> If (as recommended) you installed ASIS under the gnat root directory,
> there is an asis.gpr file in <gnat-root>/lib/gnat, which is always a
> default location for .gpr files.
>
> No such mechanism exists if you don't use project files.
Indeed a clean way to “ link ” to a library
From: Stephen Leake on
"Hibou57 (Yannick Duch�ne)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> writes:

> By the way, just because I feel inquisitive with it : did someone know
> what is the license of the GPRBuild language ?

The gprbuild and related tools are GPL (with or without the GNAT
modification, depending on where you get it).

I assume by "the GPRBuild language" you mean the language used to
write GNAT Project files; *.gpr.

I don't think the language is licensed separately. Normally, the way
to license a language is to publish a language definition. The gpr
language is not documented very clearly; partly in the GNAT Reference
Manual, partly in the GNAT User guide (_not_ in the GPRBuild user
guide!). Those documents are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation
license.

This is only a concern if you are considering doing an independent
implementation of the language; is that the case?

--
-- Stephe
From: sjw on
On Dec 29, 2:11 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> "Hibou57 (Yannick Duch ne)" <yannick_duch...(a)yahoo.fr> writes:
>
> > By the way, just because I feel inquisitive with it : did someone know
> > what is the license of the GPRBuild language ?
>
> The gprbuild and related tools are GPL (with or without the GNAT
> modification, depending on where you get it).
>
> I assume by "the GPRBuild language" you mean the language used to
> write GNAT Project files; *.gpr.
>
> I don't think the language is licensed separately. Normally, the way
> to license a language is to publish a language definition. The gpr
> language is not documented very clearly; partly in the GNAT Reference
> Manual, partly in the GNAT User guide (_not_ in the GPRBuild user
> guide!). Those documents are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation
> license.
>
> This is only a concern if you are considering doing an independent
> implementation of the language; is that the case?

Also I think if Yannick was proposing to set up a business
distributing GPR scripts.