From: Jim Flanagan on

Does anyone know of any software that would allow a PC with an Agilent
or Nat Inst
GPIB card to function as a GPIB Terminal Emulator? This would be
analogous to using
say, Hyperterminal with an RS232 port. I have a piece of HP equipment
that I want
to communicate with using a simple terminal. Hopefully, this makes sense.
I could write something, but I'm looking for instant gratification....

thanks
Jim
From: cbarn24050 on
On Aug 9, 2:15 am, Jim Flanagan <jf...(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>  Does anyone know of any software that would allow a PC with an Agilent
> or Nat Inst
> GPIB card to function as a GPIB Terminal Emulator?  This would be
> analogous to using
> say, Hyperterminal with an RS232 port.  I have a piece of HP equipment
> that I want
> to communicate with using a simple terminal.  Hopefully, this makes sense.
> I could write something, but I'm looking for instant gratification....
>
> thanks
> Jim

the driver disk that comes with the card should let you do this.
From: Rich Webb on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:15:52 -0400, Jim Flanagan <jflan(a)tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone know of any software that would allow a PC with an Agilent
>or Nat Inst
>GPIB card to function as a GPIB Terminal Emulator? This would be
>analogous to using
>say, Hyperterminal with an RS232 port. I have a piece of HP equipment
>that I want
>to communicate with using a simple terminal. Hopefully, this makes sense.
>I could write something, but I'm looking for instant gratification....

If you don't already have an Agilent or NI card that you're using, you
may want to look at the GPIB-USB dongle from Prologix. I have the older
version 3 card and used it successfully to automate some test sequences
a few years back. Worked great, no surprises. It uses an FTDI USB
interface chip and Hyperterminal or other terminal emulator can be used
to send the GPIB commands.

http://www.prologix.biz/index.php

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: Martin Riddle on

"Jim Flanagan" <jflan(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of any software that would allow a PC with an Agilent
> or Nat Inst
> GPIB card to function as a GPIB Terminal Emulator? This would be
> analogous to using
> say, Hyperterminal with an RS232 port. I have a piece of HP equipment
> that I want
> to communicate with using a simple terminal. Hopefully, this makes
> sense.
> I could write something, but I'm looking for instant gratification....
>
> thanks
> Jim

NI MAX should work, It let me do basic image capture from a 1407 with
out any hassle.

Cheers

From: Robert Baer on
Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software that would allow a PC with an Agilent
> or Nat Inst
> GPIB card to function as a GPIB Terminal Emulator? This would be
> analogous to using
> say, Hyperterminal with an RS232 port. I have a piece of HP equipment
> that I want
> to communicate with using a simple terminal. Hopefully, this makes sense.
> I could write something, but I'm looking for instant gratification....
>
> thanks
> Jim
But..but..you answered your question: "hyperterminal (software on a
PC) with an RS232 port".
House-some-wheather..*every* GPIB piece of equipment has its own set
of codes to do particular things - which means at some point you must
write code.