From: Adam Smith on
Hello,

I am designing a system in which I need to generate a timestamp in order
to insert a checksum, an ID, and other metadata to accompanying data
being passed between modules. I have seen and read of recommendations to
use TOY (Time of Year) Chips but I cannot find any specific chip or
Datasheet on any, to accomplish this.

Any recommendation or referral to suitable references would be appreciated.

Thanks!
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:12:42 -0700) it happened Adam Smith
<adamsmith(a)nospam.com> wrote in
<3b6dnVaMko3gAcLRnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>:

>Hello,
>
>I am designing a system in which I need to generate a timestamp in order
>to insert a checksum, an ID, and other metadata to accompanying data
>being passed between modules. I have seen and read of recommendations to
>use TOY (Time of Year) Chips but I cannot find any specific chip or
>Datasheet on any, to accomplish this.
>
>Any recommendation or referral to suitable references would be appreciated.
>

>Thanks!

If the system has a micro, you can implement a clock.
Clocks have this problem that they need to be synchronised at regular times.
That would require some connection to for example the internet (time server),
some PC, or interface with the user.

From: David Eather on
On 9/08/2010 8:07 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:12:42 -0700) it happened Adam Smith
> <adamsmith(a)nospam.com> wrote in
> <3b6dnVaMko3gAcLRnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am designing a system in which I need to generate a timestamp in order
>> to insert a checksum, an ID, and other metadata to accompanying data
>> being passed between modules. I have seen and read of recommendations to
>> use TOY (Time of Year) Chips but I cannot find any specific chip or
>> Datasheet on any, to accomplish this.
>>
>> Any recommendation or referral to suitable references would be appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks!
>
> If the system has a micro, you can implement a clock.
> Clocks have this problem that they need to be synchronised at regular times.
> That would require some connection to for example the internet (time server),
> some PC, or interface with the user.

I have questions about what level of security do you require if you need
a time stamp - will a simple (predictable, tamperable and emulatorable
do the job?)

But if you just need a clock internal to your devices you can have the
devices synchronize off each other
From: Mike Harrison on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:07:39 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:12:42 -0700) it happened Adam Smith
><adamsmith(a)nospam.com> wrote in
><3b6dnVaMko3gAcLRnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am designing a system in which I need to generate a timestamp in order
>>to insert a checksum, an ID, and other metadata to accompanying data
>>being passed between modules. I have seen and read of recommendations to
>>use TOY (Time of Year) Chips but I cannot find any specific chip or
>>Datasheet on any, to accomplish this.

Try looking for RTC instead of TOY!
From: Robert Baer on
Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:07:39 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:12:42 -0700) it happened Adam Smith
>> <adamsmith(a)nospam.com> wrote in
>> <3b6dnVaMko3gAcLRnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am designing a system in which I need to generate a timestamp in order
>>> to insert a checksum, an ID, and other metadata to accompanying data
>>> being passed between modules. I have seen and read of recommendations to
>>> use TOY (Time of Year) Chips but I cannot find any specific chip or
>>> Datasheet on any, to accomplish this.
>
> Try looking for RTC instead of TOY!
....or look for a chip that is designed for a toy..