From: ManifestMind on
I have an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface connected to my computer.
Attached to that, I have two lock-in amplifiers (an SR830, and an SR
850).  I would like to be able to communicate with them through GPIB.

I have downloaded and installed the software for the Agilent device
(Agilent IO Control), and I can see the interface and the two devices
in that software.  Here's what is configured in this software, that I
can see:
- The VISA interface ID is GPIB0, and its address is 0

- The VISA addresses of the devices are GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR, and the GPIB addresses are 4 and 12

In Measerment and Automation Explorer (MAX), I made sure that the
Passport for Tulip box was checked.  Once it was, I could see the
devices in the Configuration window under Devices and Interfaces ->
Miscellaneous VISA Resources.  There, I see GPIB0::INTFC, GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR.

I can right click on either of the instruments, and "Open VISA Test
Panel" where I am successfully able to send commands and read from both
devices.

HOWEVER, when I am running an actual LabView program, I am unable to communicate with the devices.

For example, when I try to communicate to the devices through VISA,
using the 'Basic Serial Write and Read.vi' (while VISA Resource Name is
GPIB0::12::INSTR), I get an error:

Error -1073807331 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic Serial Write and Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource.

When trying to communicate with them through GPIB (which is what I want
to do in the end), using 'GPIB.vi' I also get an error.  Here, GPIB
address is 12, and I am just trying to give it the command *IDN?
GPIB Write returned error code:

EDVR: Error connecting to driver or device

What's going on?