From: FREEMAN on
I have the following setup:

Linksys RV042 Firewall/VPN router
SBS with 2 nics

I set up the UPnP to allow the SBS to configure the router/firewall, and
after I did so, I noticed it forwards various ports to the SBS server NIC:

FTP [TCP/21], E-mail [TCP /25 ->25], VPN [TCP/1723], Web Server [TCP/80],
Secure Web Server, Remote Web Workplace, and Windows SharePoint Services

I am able to connect to RWW, but when I try to connect using VPN, I get the
following in the SBS log:

"A Connection between the VPN server adn the VPN client xx.xx.xx.xx has been
established, but the VPN connection cannot be complted. The most common
cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the
VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE)
packets (protocol 47)."

So, do I need to forward port 47 manually? I thought UPnP was supposed to
take care of that.
From: Karan Rustagi on
Hi,

At times it does not and you have to do it manually. See if you have a
direct option to open GRE 47 on router or Allow PPTP.

Karan Rustagi
karanrustagi(a)hotmail.com

From: Simon on
As Karan said, note that it's not a port number but a protocol type,
most routers cover it by including that into a pptp setting with tcp 1723.
simon

From: Simon on
Leythos wrote:
> In article <iMKxg.46775$1g.14432(a)newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, simon(a)not-
> here.com says...
>> As Karan said, note that it's not a port number but a protocol type,
>> most routers cover it by including that into a pptp setting with tcp 1723.
>> simon
>
> Many routers, the cheap ones, often called firewalls by mistake, don't
> handle GRE properly. In those cases you have to forward GRE as port 47,
> sometimes you have to forward UDP on 47, TCP on 47, or both UDP/TCP on
> 47 to make it work.

Thanks leythos, that's one I will remember.
simon
From: FREEMAN on
I've forwarded both TCP port 47 and UDP port 47 to the SBS server-side NIC to
no avail.

The error message in the SBS log says at the end to check with your ISP to
see if they are disallowing GRE packets. I really don't think this is it,
but I'm pulling my hair out on this thing.

I have been able to successfully create an internal VPN, by hooking my
workstation up to a different Subnet, and using the SBS private IP, rather
than the Router's public IP.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: WSUS - MsiInstaller event ID 11722
Next: Malware