From: JSH on
Oddly enough a fairly simple general result relates finding k, when
k^m = q mod N, where m is a natural number to factoring.

Given an mth residue where m is a natural number, q mod N, to be
solved one can find k, where

k^m = q mod N, from

k = (a_1+a_2+...+a_m)^{-1} (f_1 +...+ f_m) mod N

where f_1*...*f_m = T, and T = a_1*...*a_m*q mod N

and the a's are free variables as long as they are non-zero and their
sum is coprime to N.

So you get some T, such that T = a_1*...*a_m*q mod N, factor it, and
you may have k using its factors with that simple relation.

It's a general result, which may have been known to Gauss and simply
didn't get written down, or maybe he did and no one noticed. It's
not
the sort of thing that had the importance in the past that it MAY
have
in our modern age of computers and systems based on factoring as a
hard problem.

I actually generalized to the full result about a month ago, having in
the past on this newsgroup mentioned a simpler quadratic result that I
noticed first!

I think some posters derided it as too simple and they moved on. I
puzzled over it a few more months and realized that I could generalize
to m, a Natural number.

As it is a general result it's hard to say much about how it works,
especially with m greater than 2. It has intriguing behavior though
even with the quadratic case.

I'll admit is is a sobering find for me, as it's an incredibly simple
result to prove, is general for residues connecting them to integer
factorization in a deep way, and looks like the kind of result one
would expect to be in the front of a number theory textbook on modular
arithmetic.

Yet I'm the one who found it, over 200 years since Gauss introduced
"mod" in 1801.

Ok, I'll stop there. I won't be surprised to see a lot of hateful and
hostile replies in response. I've been talking it out on sci.math and
have been ripped on continuously. The insult-fest never ends on
Usenet though. That's part of what defines Usenet.

No matter what, someone insults you.

James Harris
From: amzoti on
On Jun 12, 7:27 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> James Harris

Delusional narcissist!

You are a cheat, liar and charlatan.

No one here is going to buy your snake oil.

Magnanimous claims and zero to show for it.

From: Mark Murray on
On 13/06/2010 03:27, JSH wrote:
> Yet I'm the one who found it, over 200 years since Gauss introduced
> "mod" in 1801.

1) Chinese remainder theorem.

2) Modular exponentiation.

Mark "No Nickname" Murray
Notable nebbish, extreme generalist.
From: JSH on
On Jun 13, 3:21 am, Mark Murray <w.h.o...(a)example.com> wrote:
> On 13/06/2010 03:27, JSH wrote:
>  > Yet I'm the one who found it, over 200 years since Gauss introduced
>  > "mod" in 1801.
>
> 1) Chinese remainder theorem.
>
> 2) Modular exponentiation.

Interesting, chased the link to Wikipedia for modular exponentiation
and that got me to wondering my result could be used to find e.

Given c = b^e mod m, where c, b and m are known, yeah, it seems to me
that is should, potentially, maybe be possible using my result to
figure out e. But maybe not. I decided to stop thinking on it after
a point. Kind of overwhelming. So the rest may not be valid, but I
have to toss it out there anyway for national security reasons, as the
"unknown" is not good. It's bad.

Cool. Well guess that breaks something in encryption. NSA should
start looking for a new method, fast.

Thanks "Mark Murray"! I hadn't realized that route existed. So
you've helped reveal a new potential vulnerability. And on the
appropriate newsgroup!

Yuck. This result then potentially breaks all known encryption
schemes around modular arithmetic, that involve integer factorization
or discrete logarithms, which is what a foundation level result can
give you.

British and American mathematicians ignore this result--if it does,
still not sure but for national security reasons will leave this
message in here--at their peril as of course people in other countries
may have no reason to acknowledge that they know of this result,
especially to take down the big arrogant boys who claim to be at the
top of the heap.

James Harris
From: Tom St Denis on
On Jun 13, 10:36 am, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Given c = b^e mod m, where c, b and m are known, yeah, it seems to me
> that is should, potentially, maybe be possible using my result to
> figure out e.  But maybe not.  I decided to stop thinking on it after

"not" ... understatement of this century.

> Cool.  Well guess that breaks something in encryption.  NSA should
> start looking for a new method, fast.

I don't get how this follows, and I think that's what makes you
"special." You admit your idea is probably bunk, but then conclude
that it's a valid result afterall with no justification whatsoever.

Tom