From: Piotr Hosowicz on
Hello,

I have a simple question = I've heard rumours here and there that SYSFS
is deprecated and forthcoming kernels won't use it, I even see some
warning during boot. Is it true? And where to disable it in the config?
I could find the option in menuconfig and I don't want to edit .config
by hand, because there are various *SYSFS* options there.

Please, help.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
mUsK tFuJ wRuK!
NP: Slash - Ghost (Feat. Ian Astbury)
From: Piotr Hosowicz on
On 13.05.2010 20:55, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

> I could find the option in menuconfig and I don't want to edit .config
> by hand, because there are various *SYSFS* options there.

Sorry, I mistyped, I meant I _cannot_ find it in menuconfig nor in .config.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
Polsat: ogl�dasz z rodzink� reklamy, a tu nagle - trach! - film!
NP: Alice In Chains - All Secrets Known
From: Randy Dunlap on
Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> On 13.05.2010 20:55, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>
>> I could find the option in menuconfig and I don't want to edit .config
>> by hand, because there are various *SYSFS* options there.
>
> Sorry, I mistyped, I meant I _cannot_ find it in menuconfig nor in .config.

The only thing about SYSFS that is deprecated AFAIK is in init/Kconfig:

config SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
bool "enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools"
depends on SYSFS
default n
select SYSFS_DEPRECATED
help
This option switches the layout of sysfs to the deprecated
version. Do not use it on recent distributions.

HTH.

From: Greg KH on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 08:55:09PM +0200, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a simple question = I've heard rumours here and there that
> SYSFS is deprecated and forthcoming kernels won't use it

Nope, not true at all. Where did you hear those rumors so that I can go
after them with a big stick and squash them?

> I even see some warning during boot.

What specific warning are you seeing?

> Is it true? And where to disable it in the config?

If you want to disable sysfs, you can, it's in the config file, but you
have to really know what you are doing otherwise you will usually end up
with a system that does not boot properly.

best of luck,

greg k-h
From: Piotr Hosowicz on
On 13.05.2010 21:28, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>> On 13.05.2010 20:55, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>>
>>> I could find the option in menuconfig and I don't want to edit .config
>>> by hand, because there are various *SYSFS* options there.
>>
>> Sorry, I mistyped, I meant I _cannot_ find it in menuconfig nor in .config.
>
> The only thing about SYSFS that is deprecated AFAIK is in init/Kconfig:
>
> config SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
> bool "enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools"
> depends on SYSFS
> default n
> select SYSFS_DEPRECATED
> help
> This option switches the layout of sysfs to the deprecated
> version. Do not use it on recent distributions.

Thanks, I have it disabled. I asked tyhe question because of such
messages during boot:

May 13 16:26:24 aapi205 udevd[1432]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a
future udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or
ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in
/etc/udev/rules.d/025_logitechmouse.rules:21

As far as I can see this is rather udev question. I don't know what to
do about those messages. Can you give me a hint?

For now I upgraded udev to 154-1, I will see in the morning after I
build new kernel if this helps.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
TV: "Rosjanki osi�gn�y szczyt w niew�a�ciwym miejscu, w
niew�a�ciwym czasie i w�a�ciwie zupe�nie niepotrzebnie."