From: Tim Williams on
Yes!

Thanks for the correction Dave.

Tim

From: CellShocked on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:09:26 +1100, "macropod" <macropod(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi ker,
>
>Here's something to get you started:
>Sub ColorIt()
>Dim oCel As Range, iRed As Integer, iBlu As Integer, iGrn As Integer
>For Each oCel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells
> With oCel
> .Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
> If .Offset(0, 1).Value = .Value + 1 Then
> iRed = .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
> iGrn = 256 - .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
> iBlu = .Value * 127 Mod 256
> .Interior.Color = RGB(iRed, iGrn, iBlu)
> End If
> End With
>Next
>End Sub

I DLd a sheet/book somewhere with the entire (maybe) pantone/rgb table
and colored cells on it, but automating it would be cool too!

It would be cool to see a workbook like this:

Give a range or a preference for one of the three basic colors, and a
sheet gets generated with colored cells, and their numeric criteria
written in the cell, or under it. Because we cannot get them all on one
sheet.

Better still, put up the range of colors graphic 3D plot and plot the
point of your selection within the graph. The graph I refer to is the
CIE 1931 Chromaticity Diagram. Paste it as the background under your
chart, properly scaled and registered.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Chromaticity_diagram_full.pdf

or the like.
From: Peter T on
"CellShocked" <cellshocked(a)thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet.org> wrote
in message news:l5i0o55du67uksl8fh2v0q0696ratd2hde(a)4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:09:26 +1100, "macropod" <macropod(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi ker,
>>
>>Here's something to get you started:
>>Sub ColorIt()
>>Dim oCel As Range, iRed As Integer, iBlu As Integer, iGrn As Integer
>>For Each oCel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells
>> With oCel
>> .Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
>> If .Offset(0, 1).Value = .Value + 1 Then
>> iRed = .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
>> iGrn = 256 - .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
>> iBlu = .Value * 127 Mod 256
>> .Interior.Color = RGB(iRed, iGrn, iBlu)
>> End If
>> End With
>>Next
>>End Sub
>

> I DLd a sheet/book somewhere with the entire (maybe) pantone/rgb table
> and colored cells on it, but automating it would be cool too!

I have a workbook that displays most of common print colours (and others).
The definitions are stored in cells, press a button to create them on the
sheet.

> It would be cool to see a workbook like this:
>
> Give a range or a preference for one of the three basic colors, and a
> sheet gets generated with colored cells, and their numeric criteria
> written in the cell, or under it. Because we cannot get them all on one
> sheet.

I don't follow what you mean, but even XL2003- is not limited to the 56
colour palette. 10k+ unique colours can easily be displayed on a sheet in
shapes, each generated from RGB's in cells (which is how what I describe
above is achieved)

> Better still, put up the range of colors graphic 3D plot and plot the
> point of your selection within the graph. The graph I refer to is the
> CIE 1931 Chromaticity Diagram. Paste it as the background under your
> chart, properly scaled and registered.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Chromaticity_diagram_full.pdf
>
> or the like.

This is also possible, click on a pixel anywhere on the screen, customize a
palette colour in turn update whatever in the workbook with the new colour
in a couple of clicks (works much better in Excel 2003- than later
versions). A very small feature of a very large project that never made it
to market!

Regards,
Peter T

From: CellShocked on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:36:16 -0000, "Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions>
wrote:

>I don't follow what you mean, but even XL2003- is not limited to the 56
>colour palette. 10k+ unique colours can easily be displayed on a sheet in
>shapes, each generated from RGB's in cells (which is how what I describe
>above is achieved)

I was just saying that reasonably showing that many entries to the user
is impractical as an informational display, so I suggested providing a
range to find a desired color. A "window" as it were.
From: macropod on
Hi CellShocked,

Somehow I think that's 'right over the top' as far as a solution to the OP's problem goes. Even mine is perhaps more elaborate than
necessary ...

--
Cheers
macropod