From: ker_01 on
I have a (26 x 60+) grid of values . I need to be able to visually identify
repeat values, so I'm looping through the cells and assigning a color based
on the value. To be as efficient as possible, I decided to use the cell value
to drive the color code directly; I don't care what number gets what color,
as long as adjacent numbers don't get the same (or similar) color.

The grid values range from 1 to 80 (integers). Adjacent cells are very
likely to have adjacent values (e.g. 1 and 2, 2, and 3) up to a spread of
about 4 (or so) at one corner of the grid.

A B C D E F G H
1. 1 1 2 2 3 4 4 5
2. 1 1 2 3 3 4 5 6
3. 1 2 3 3 4 5 6 7
4. 2 3 3 4 5 6 6 8
5. 2 3 4 5 6 7 7 8
etc

so I'm trying to find intervals of RGB values based on the cell value so
that I can create the spectrum (repeat colors are fine, as long as there are
at least a few colors inbetween for visual separation). I'm trying different
versions of the code below, where I'm modifying the multiplier used (5, 10,
15, 20, etc) with sVal but I'm still getting situations where similar values
(such as 1 and 2) end up with the same color (does Excel round to the nearest
color on the pallet?).

I'm not real familiar with the RGB color wheel as it relates to the numbers
and whatever colors Excel then uses, so I'm looking for advice on how to fix
that one line to ensure that I won't have adjacent cells with the same color
but different numbers.

Many thanks,
Keith

Sub ColorizeRanges()
Dim iCol As Long

For iRow = 3 To 41
For iCol = 2 To 27
uCol = ColLetter(iCol) 'separate function, returns column C to AA
sVal = (Sheet5.Range(uCol & iRow).Value)

'this is the key line:
Sheet5.Range(uCol & iRow).Interior.Color = RGB(250 - ((20 * sVal)
Mod 250), 250 - ((35 * sVal) Mod 250), ((20 * sVal) Mod 250))

Next
Next
End Sub

From: Tim Williams on
What version of excel ?

Not sure about XL2007 but previous versions only have a palette of 546
colors for cell interiors.
If you try to assign an RGB value which doesn't match one in the palette
then it just gets mapped to the "closest" one (no idea what they use to
determine which is closest)

Tim

From: macropod on
Hi ker,

Here's something to get you started:
Sub ColorIt()
Dim oCel As Range, iRed As Integer, iBlu As Integer, iGrn As Integer
For Each oCel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells
With oCel
.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
If .Offset(0, 1).Value = .Value + 1 Then
iRed = .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
iGrn = 256 - .Column * .Value * 31 Mod 256
iBlu = .Value * 127 Mod 256
.Interior.Color = RGB(iRed, iGrn, iBlu)
End If
End With
Next
End Sub

--
Cheers
macropod

From: Dave Peterson on
546 is a typo for 56.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Peter T on
If I follow, and if your actual data sample looks roughly like your sample
(numbers increasing across and down the table), maybe you don't need to
customise any colours at all. Try the following -

Sub test()
Dim idx As Long
Dim rng As Range, cel As Range
Set rng = Range("A1:Z80") ' << change to suit
For Each cel In rng
With cel
idx = (.Value - 1) Mod 56 + 1
.Interior.ColorIndex = idx
End With
Next
End Sub

If any of the cells might be empty or zero, change
idx = (.Value - 1) Mod 56 + 1
idx = (.Value) Mod 56 + 1

If any numbers 57 to 80 are adjacent to numbers exactly 56 less, this idea
won't be quite right. Only you'll know if it can be easily adapted though,
eg say by changing the Mod number to something less than 56.

You can of course customize the 56 colour palette, either with code or
manually.

Regards,
Peter T