From: srikanth on
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if we can generate data with given input size with
the help of shell script. Any idea from our group?

If we specify 5mb as file size then we need to generate test data for
5mb. If you have any valuable suggestions please let me know and also
any alternative way to do this.

Thanks in advance.
From: pk on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT) srikanth <srikanth007m(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
> Just wanted to know if we can generate data with given input size with
> the help of shell script. Any idea from our group?
>
> If we specify 5mb as file size then we need to generate test data for
> 5mb. If you have any valuable suggestions please let me know and also
> any alternative way to do this.

It entirely depends on what you want to put in that data. If you're happy
with NULs, just use

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000 count=5000

(or the equivalent values in base 2, depending on what unit you want
to use).

For more structured data, awk or Perl can easily generate just about
anything.
From: srikanth on
On Aug 10, 10:30 pm, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT) srikanth <srikanth0...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > Just wanted to know if we can generate data with given input size with
> > the help of shell script. Any idea from our group?
>
> > If we specify 5mb as file size then we need to generate test data for
> > 5mb. If you have any valuable suggestions please let me know and also
> > any alternative way to do this.
>
> It entirely depends on what you want to put in that data. If you're happy
> with NULs, just use
>
> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000 count=5000
>
> (or the equivalent values in base 2, depending on what unit you want
> to use).
>
> For more structured data, awk or Perl can easily generate just about
> anything.
First of all Thanks for you suggestions...
I Just want to generate files with data. Any type of data that doesn't
depend upon the content what it is..
How can we do this with the help of awk or perl?
From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<9a7c7480-8de2-4c39-9da9-15fd9b11179f(a)i19g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
srikanth <srikanth007m(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 10, 10:30�pm, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT) srikanth <srikanth0...(a)gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > > Just wanted to know if we can generate data with given input size with
> > > the help of shell script. Any idea from our group?
> >
> > > If we specify 5mb as file size then we need to generate test data for
> > > 5mb. If you have any valuable suggestions please let me know and also
> > > any alternative way to do this.
> >
> > It entirely depends on what you want to put in that data. If you're happy
> > with NULs, just use
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000 count=5000
> >
> > (or the equivalent values in base 2, depending on what unit you want
> > to use).
> >
> > For more structured data, awk or Perl can easily generate just about
> > anything.
> First of all Thanks for you suggestions...
> I Just want to generate files with data. Any type of data that doesn't
> depend upon the content what it is..
> How can we do this with the help of awk or perl?

If you use /dev/random in the above command, you'll get the specified
amount of random bytes.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: srikanth on
On Aug 11, 8:55 am, Barry Margolin <bar...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <9a7c7480-8de2-4c39-9da9-15fd9b111...(a)i19g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  srikanth <srikanth0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 10, 10:30 pm, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:

> > > It entirely depends on what you want to put in that data. If you're happy
> > > with NULs, just use
>
> > > dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000 count=5000
>
> > > (or the equivalent values in base 2, depending on what unit you want
> > > to use).
>
> > > For more structured data, awk or Perl can easily generate just about
> > > anything.
> > First of all Thanks for you suggestions...
> > I Just want to generate files with data. Any type of data that doesn't
> > depend upon the content what it is..
> > How can we do this with the help of awk or perl?
>
> If you use /dev/random in the above command, you'll get the specified
> amount of random bytes.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, bar...(a)alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

It should contain human readable data not he system readable data. If
i use dd if=/dev/random it is generation some system level data which
we can't read.