From: rvaede on

I have a folder with a bunch of sub folders.
I am trying to run a script to remove all the files in the folders and
sub folders.
I don not want to remove the directories.

From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-08-10, rvaede wrote:

> I have a folder with a bunch of sub folders.
> I am trying to run a script to remove all the files in the folders and
> sub folders.
> I don not want to remove the directories.

In the directory containing the subdirectories:

find . -type f -exec rm {} +

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, author <http://shell.cfajohnson.com/>

From: rvaede on
On Aug 10, 3:10 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-10, rvaede wrote:
>
> > I have a folder with a bunch of sub folders.
> > I am trying to run a script to remove all the files in the folders and
> > sub folders.
> > I don not want to remove the directories.
>
>     In the directory containing the subdirectories:
>
> find . -type f -exec rm {} +
>
> --
>    Chris F.A. Johnson, author           <http://shell.cfajohnson.com/>
>    ===================================================================
>    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
>    Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell (2009, Apress)

Well done Chris.
Thank you
From: Geoff Clare on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-08-10, rvaede wrote:
>>
>> I have a folder with a bunch of sub folders.
>> I am trying to run a script to remove all the files in the folders and
>> sub folders.
>> I don not want to remove the directories.
>
> In the directory containing the subdirectories:
>
> find . -type f -exec rm {} +

The OP wanted to remove everything except the directories, so this
would be a better fit for the request:

find . ! -type d -exec rm {} +

(in case there are any symlinks, FIFOs, etc. there).

--
Geoff Clare <netnews(a)gclare.org.uk>