From: Dan on
Hey all,
This is driving me crazy. I just want to have OWA use
http(s)://owa.domain.com. I have created a DNS record for the address
pointing to the IP of my Exchange box and now it just won't connect without
an error. Basically, it asks for credentials (no forms based auth enabled
yet) and then just errors after a while. Is there a best practice for
getting this to work? I haven't done this in a really long time so I'm sure
I'm just forgetting something. Seems to me I had to change the default home
directory of something on the Exchange box. I can still connect to
http://serverIP/exchange without issue.
This is obviously Exchange 2003 , sorry for not mentioning.
Thanks,
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:48:15 -0700, Dan
<Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
> This is driving me crazy. I just want to have OWA use
>http(s)://owa.domain.com. I have created a DNS record for the address
>pointing to the IP of my Exchange box and now it just won't connect without
>an error.

Try adding "/exchange" to the URL.

>Basically, it asks for credentials (no forms based auth enabled
>yet) and then just errors after a while. Is there a best practice for
>getting this to work?

I think you're still at the IIS level right now. What's the full error
code (not just the three character 4xx, but the 4xx.n)?

If you changed the server name and you're trying to use HTTPS then the
name on the certificate isn't going to match the new name. You'll need
a new certificate.

>I haven't done this in a really long time so I'm sure
>I'm just forgetting something. Seems to me I had to change the default home
>directory of something on the Exchange box. I can still connect to
>http://serverIP/exchange without issue.
>This is obviously Exchange 2003 , sorry for not mentioning.
>Thanks,
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Dan on
Hey Rich,
No SSL involved yet but that's next and I can handle that part
(hopefully). The current setup basically just routes to the "under
construction" page. I tried setting the home directory of the default
website to be the same as the 'exchange' virtual directory and that failed as
well (credentials box just keeps popping up over and over despite the correct
credentials). Using the http://owa.domain.com/exchange URL produces the same
result. Again, I can still get things to work by putting in
http://hostname/exchange or http://127.0.0.1/exchange.
What am I missing?
Something tells me I have simple DNS issue.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:33:55 -0700, Dan
<Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey Rich,
> No SSL involved yet but that's next and I can handle that part
>(hopefully). The current setup basically just routes to the "under
>construction" page. I tried setting the home directory of the default
>website to be the same as the 'exchange' virtual directory and that failed as
>well (credentials box just keeps popping up over and over despite the correct
>credentials). Using the http://owa.domain.com/exchange URL produces the same
>result. Again, I can still get things to work by putting in
>http://hostname/exchange or http://127.0.0.1/exchange.
>What am I missing?
>Something tells me I have simple DNS issue.

If you think that's the problem then why not slap a line in to the
c:\windows\system32\drivers\efc\hosts file on the client?

This oughta do it:
127.0.0.1 owa.domain.com

Of course, 127.0.0.1 isn't going to work. :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP