From: Chris on
Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a company Intranet. I know that there are third party COM DLLs but I don't want to install anything additional on IIS.

Evertjan. wrote:

Chris Fellows wrote on 06 jul 2010 inmicrosoft.public.inetserver.asp.
06-Jul-10

Chris Fellows wrote on 06 jul 2010 in

Not available, as that would be a breach of security.

Google is your friend:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2005/05/09/how-to-obtain-the-
name-of-the-client-from-the-asp-server.aspx

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

BizTalk Orchestration And Web Services.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/62ffe57e-2853-4188-b14d-9fcbec171393/biztalk-orchestration-and-web-services.aspx
From: Dan on
In that case it's going to be very messy. Why do you need the machine names?
If the users are authenticated against IIS (using NTLM for instance) then
you can get the DOMAIN\USER from the HTTP variables easily enough, but the
machine name is not included. If you have ADS then it may be possible to use
reverse DNS to lookup the machine name (assuming your ADS DNS is accessible
from IIS), but it's going to be really hard without installing an
off-the-shelf component such as ASPDNS that can handle all the hard work for
you.

For instance, something like this might work:
http://www.asp101.com/articles/jason/reversedns/default.asp

However, it may not if the permissions for IIS are locked down, as the
script relies on access to the command interpreter and to write a file (the
example uses a file in the root of drive C, you could use any location that
is writeable). It's the access to the command interpreter that will likely
be the most awkward to organise.

Dan

From: Evertjan. on
Dan wrote on 06 jul 2010 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> "Chris Fellows" wrote in message
>> Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a company Intranet. I know that
>> there are third party COM DLLs but I don't want to install anything
>> additional on IIS.

> In that case it's going to be very messy. Why do you need the machine
> names? If the users are authenticated against IIS (using NTLM for
> instance) then you can get the DOMAIN\USER from the HTTP variables
> easily enough, but the machine name is not included. If you have ADS
> then it may be possible to use reverse DNS to lookup the machine name
> (assuming your ADS DNS is accessible from IIS), but it's going to be
> really hard without installing an off-the-shelf component such as
> ASPDNS that can handle all the hard work for you.
>
> For instance, something like this might work:
> http://www.asp101.com/articles/jason/reversedns/default.asp
>
> However, it may not if the permissions for IIS are locked down, as the
> script relies on access to the command interpreter and to write a file
> (the example uses a file in the root of drive C, you could use any
> location that is writeable). It's the access to the command
> interpreter that will likely be the most awkward to organise.

Wow!

Why not simply use a macine specific cookie,
that is set on each machine
using a system management password protected asp page?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Dan on

"Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivoort(a)interxnl.net> wrote in message
> Dan wrote on 06 jul 2010 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>> "Chris Fellows" wrote in message
>>> Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a company Intranet. I know that
>>> there are third party COM DLLs but I don't want to install anything
>>> additional on IIS.
>
>> In that case it's going to be very messy. Why do you need the machine
>> names? If the users are authenticated against IIS (using NTLM for
>> instance) then you can get the DOMAIN\USER from the HTTP variables
>> easily enough, but the machine name is not included. If you have ADS
>> then it may be possible to use reverse DNS to lookup the machine name
>> (assuming your ADS DNS is accessible from IIS), but it's going to be
>> really hard without installing an off-the-shelf component such as
>> ASPDNS that can handle all the hard work for you.
>>
>> For instance, something like this might work:
>> http://www.asp101.com/articles/jason/reversedns/default.asp
>>
>> However, it may not if the permissions for IIS are locked down, as the
>> script relies on access to the command interpreter and to write a file
>> (the example uses a file in the root of drive C, you could use any
>> location that is writeable). It's the access to the command
>> interpreter that will likely be the most awkward to organise.
>
> Wow!
>
> Why not simply use a macine specific cookie,
> that is set on each machine
> using a system management password protected asp page?

And what happens when the cookie isn't transmitted? For instance, using the
Inprivate mode in IE8?

--
Dan

From: Evertjan. on
Dan wrote on 07 jul 2010 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> And what happens when the cookie isn't transmitted? For instance,
> using the Inprivate mode in IE8?

In all theoretical probability, using the in private mode will not divulge
the machine name, even if it were possible to do this in a "normal"
situation.

Likewise using another browser or after cleaning the cookie caSHE.

Remember the OP specified an intranet situation.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.