From: Mett� on
Win XP Pro SP3 (& FP 2003)
I have had to do a complete re install and (as usual when this happens) I am
having real trouble getting the local web via IIS to run.

On browsing to "Default Web Site" via IIS I get...

Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the
processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail
information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.

The following error and warning from the system event logs when
I try to browse http://localhost...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 36
Date: 30/04/2010
Time: 01:35:39
User: N/A
Computer: CompName
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was
'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is
incorrect. Check the username and password.
'.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10004
Date: 30/04/2010
Time: 01:35:39
User: N/A
Computer: CompName
DCOM got error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. " and was
unable to logon .\IWAM_CompName in order to run the server:
{3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

Win XP standard install as administrator etc I have not changed any user or
passwords beyond log in???

I do not know how to resolve this, any suggestions?

Browser Intranet settings accepts "CompName" and "localhost"
IIS "Web Sites" Properties Home Directory permissions all ticked inc Execute
Permissions set to Scripts and Executables.

Thanks

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

The IWAM user's password is out-of-sync between the IIS metabase and the
local SAM database.

you can extract the password out of the metabase if you want (but it
requires editing the adsutil.vbs file). It might be easier to reset the
password in both places.

you can follow the instructions here (for Windows 2000 - it applies to Win
XP as well):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297989

Ignore the stuff about IUSR and MTS - just follow the steps to reset the
IWAM local password and the IWAM password in the metabase.

Cheers
Ken