From: Adrian C on
On 15/03/2010 03:02, mike wrote:

> I'm sittin' here with two xpprosp3 computers on the same router.
> On the controlling computer, I click "remote desktop connection".
> I enter the password.

That's not remote assistance ... You are using remote desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/rafaq-general.mspx

"Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance use the same underlying
technology, but there are differences between these features.

"Remote Desktop allows access to a remote Windows computer. For example,
when you are at another computer you can use Remote Desktop to connect
to your work computer from home and have access to files and applications.

"Remote Assistance allows a helper to use an Internet connection to
access your computer to provide assistance. The helper views your
computer's screen and communicates through a chat box. The helper can
remotely control your computer to resolve a problem."

--
Adrian C
From: P.V. on
"mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:hnk7vh$lrm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> I'm sittin' here with two xpprosp3 computers on the same router.
> On the controlling computer, I click "remote desktop connection".
> I enter the password.
>
> The controlled computer screen comes up on the controlling computer
> and I can control it.
> The controlled computer screen immediately switches to a windows login
> screen asking for a password. Nothing else can be seen on the
> controlled computer. If I enter the login password, the connection is
> lost.
>
> What now???

Remote desktop and remote assistance are two different things. You are using
remote desktop, which is intended for other purposes, and works the way you
describe.

What you would want to use is remote assistance.

P.V.

From: mike on
P.V. wrote:
> "mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> kirjoitti
> viestiss�:hnk7vh$lrm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> I'm sittin' here with two xpprosp3 computers on the same router.
>> On the controlling computer, I click "remote desktop connection".
>> I enter the password.
>>
>> The controlled computer screen comes up on the controlling computer
>> and I can control it.
>> The controlled computer screen immediately switches to a windows login
>> screen asking for a password. Nothing else can be seen on the
>> controlled computer. If I enter the login password, the connection is
>> lost.
>>
>> What now???
>
> Remote desktop and remote assistance are two different things. You are
> using remote desktop, which is intended for other purposes, and works
> the way you describe.
>
> What you would want to use is remote assistance.
>
> P.V.

Thanks,
I tried remote assistance. It wants to use outlook or instant messaging,
both of which are purposely disabled.
I looked at Barry's process, but it seems overly complicated.
With VNC, you click the link, enter the ip address or dyndns address
and it just works...cross platform. I can control a linux machine
from my PDA.

If M$ would just leave the remote desktop active with remote desktop,
all would be well.
From: Adrian C on
On 15/03/2010 23:19, mike wrote:
> With VNC, you click the link, enter the ip address or dyndns address
> and it just works...cross platform. I can control a linux machine
> from my PDA.
>
> If M$ would just leave the remote desktop active with remote desktop,
> all would be well.

Nope, leave it. 'Remote desktop' RDP is fine as it is. But then you have
VNC. Fine if it works for you. My favourite is TeamViewer. No mucking
about with firewalls and port settings :-)

BTW with 'Remote Assistance', Ye don't need outlook or instant messenger
- ye can save the invite as a text file and then get that over to the
'other' machine.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457004.aspx

Also if ya don't want to mess about with the user sending ya invites,
and have a corporate IT environment with domain accounts, then it is
possible to set things up so ye start the connection process by offering
assistance.

--
Adrian C
From: P.V. on
"mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:hnmfas$d98$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> I tried remote assistance. It wants to use outlook or instant messaging,
> both of which are purposely disabled.
> I looked at Barry's process, but it seems overly complicated.
> With VNC, you click the link, enter the ip address or dyndns address
> and it just works...cross platform. I can control a linux machine
> from my PDA.

At work we once tried to use remote assistance to remote control a PC that
was going to be installed at a remote site. Remote assistance had some
limitations because of which we ended up using VNC, but I don't recall any
requirement for outlook or instant messaging. I remember there was a code
that I saved on a flash drive and took to the other PC.

> If M$ would just leave the remote desktop active with remote desktop,
> all would be well.

You see this feature as a bad thing, but for people who actually use remote
desktop it is a desired feature. When people access a PC using remote
desktop, usually they don't want people who walk by the remote-controlled PC
to see what's on the screen.

Also, with remote desktop, a server can be accessed by several users at a
time. In that case the users don't want to share the desktop.

There's already technique called remote assistance, and there would have
been no sense to include the same technique twice with two different names.
If remote assistance doesn't meet your requirements, then use the VNC.

I notice now that in a previous message you said the remote connection is
lost when you locally log in on the remote PC. The reason for that to happen
is that XP Pro license only entitles having one user at a time using the PC.
There are Server Windowses that can have several users at a time, and with a
such you wouldn't have this particular problem. But still, both (or all)
log-in sessions would have separate desktops.

P.V.