From: John W. Vinson on
On 19 May 2010 20:04:18 GMT, "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

>I'm very confused here, as when I open Access, Chr(148) does return
>a curly quote, and Asc("�") (that's a curly close quote in the
>center returns 148. It surprises me that the Asc() function returns
>an ANSI value. The help file is silent on the distinction between
>ASCII and ANSI encoding, and just says "character code."

Well, you know the old saying - ASCII a silly question, get a silly ANSI!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: David W. Fenton on
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in

> You can change the table font. Open the table, select the data,by
> either selecting all the column, or rows, or by clicking on the
> intersection of them in the opper left corner, now go to Format
> solve your problem though.

Fonts don't change character encoding, so this can't possibly solve
the problem. I don't know why you keep suggesting this. The problem
described is a mismatch between source and destination character
encodings. Resolving that mismatch the only thing that's going to
definitively solve the problem.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
John W. Vinson <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in

> On 19 May 2010 20:04:18 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I'm very confused here, as when I open Access, Chr(148) does
>>return a curly quote, and Asc("�") (that's a curly close quote in
>>the center returns 148. It surprises me that the Asc() function
>>returns an ANSI value. The help file is silent on the distinction
>>between ASCII and ANSI encoding, and just says "character code."
>
> Well, you know the old saying - ASCII a silly question, get a
> silly ANSI!

*GROAN*

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Larry Linson on
"David W. Fenton" wrote

>> Well, you know the old saying -
>> ASCII a silly question, get a
>> silly ANSI!
>
> *GROAN*

I'm sure that John will take much pleasure in your response. As a career
punster, he knows that if it doesn't elicit a "groan", it can't possibly be
a great pun.

Larry
Access newsgroup support is alive and well in USENET
comp.databases.ms-access

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Text to Combo Box