From: Mark H on
Every week I export a txt file of a table out of Access to a third party
provider who converts it to an XML file for wide distribution and then upload
to various websites such as Amazon. I am having problems with lots of
characters being converted improperly, most significantly the apostrophes and
quotation marks. Is there a way I can 'clean' these out of my database (use a
different font such as Arial Unicode in the table?) or when I export the txt
file?
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
Use Courier New. It's a monofont which doesn't even have formatted
characters. It should be the font automatically used by Notepad.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: David W. Fenton on
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in

> Use Courier New. It's a monofont which doesn't even have formatted
> characters. It should be the font automatically used by Notepad.

I don't understand your instructions here.

Courier New has "smart quotes" in the font.

Secondly, Notepad does not use Courier New. I think it's using
Lucida Console, but I'm not sure on that. Whichever font it is, it
includes "curly quotes".

Even if the font doesn't include the curly quotes, changing the font
doesn't do anything to change the character encoding -- it will only
cause the offending characters to be replaced with a square block.

Choosing a font affects only display, not the actual encoding, which
has to be handled properly during the export and import process.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: david on
Run an update query on the table before you run the export.

You can put both actions into a macro, and run the
macro to do the export. You can add a button to your
ribbon to run the macro to do the export.

Or, if you are using forms, you can add a button to a
form to run both actions.

(david)

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
"Excuse me, but my Notepad is using Courier New, and it doesn't have curly quotes" I think I set that up to match the font I use in the IDE code window.

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message news:Xns9D7BAD7A06C22f99a49ed1d0c49c5bbb2(a)74.209.136.97...
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in

> Use Courier New. It's a monofont which doesn't even have formatted
> characters. It should be the font automatically used by Notepad.

I don't understand your instructions here.

Courier New has "smart quotes" in the font.

Secondly, Notepad does not use Courier New. I think it's using
Lucida Console, but I'm not sure on that. Whichever font it is, it
includes "curly quotes".

Even if the font doesn't include the curly quotes, changing the font
doesn't do anything to change the character encoding -- it will only
cause the offending characters to be replaced with a square block.

Choosing a font affects only display, not the actual encoding, which
has to be handled properly during the export and import process.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3