From: Peter Venkman on
Hi,

I just ran into a rather strange issue. When sending to a particular
user, some people are getting bounces saying that two users in our org
have the same email address. When I do a search in the EMC, I find
two user objects with same email address. One is a typical "User
Mailbox" object in this persons regional domain. In other words, it's
the valid account. The other is an object type called "Mail User" in
a completely different domain in the same forest. It's the same
domain our Exchange servers are on.

When I try to delete the object or even view properties, it tells me
it can't find the object on the dc it's looking at. A random search
through the whole directory on different DC's will sometimes pull up
that user object as well, but it can't be opened. It's not consistent
either. Sometimes some DC's will show that object and sometimes they
won't. Sometimes different DC's will show it...

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

PVD
From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Has this AD ever been recovered from a disaster? I would run DCDIAG and
NETDIAG to see what is happening in your AD first. Event log on the
Exchange Server and DC should also give you some clue as to what may be
happening.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

From: Peter Venkman on
It has never been recovered from a disaster.

Netdiag all fine

dcdiag squawks about one of our 39 domain controllers not replicating
in the past 12 hours. Nothing really out of the ordinary with our
satellite offices. I've never seen this e-mail thing before.
Everything else is fine.

Thanks.

From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
That is very strange, I am thinking this is more an AD issue than Exchange.
Have you run ExBPA lately to see if it finds anything?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:29:23 -0400, "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]"
<jcoliverjr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>That is very strange, I am thinking this is more an AD issue than Exchange.

I'd agree with this. Either he doesn't have permission to modify the
object in another domain or there's a problem with GC replication.

>Have you run ExBPA lately to see if it finds anything?

I'd run the check for permissions, not something that checks for
problems within Exchange.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP