From: philo on
I've got a GA-K8N Pro-sli on the workbench

It typically takes 8 - 12 tries to get it to boot up..
but once booted the machine runs fine.

I've tried everything I can think up...
reflashed the bios with a newer one.

Tried a different power supply / ram / video card etc

even changed the cmos battery

Since the machine starts too unreliably I'm going to pitch the mobo into
the recycle bin...

unless someone here has an idea I've missed
From: JD on
philo wrote:
> I've got a GA-K8N Pro-sli on the workbench
>
> It typically takes 8 - 12 tries to get it to boot up..
> but once booted the machine runs fine.
>
> I've tried everything I can think up...
> reflashed the bios with a newer one.
>
> Tried a different power supply / ram / video card etc
>
> even changed the cmos battery
>

> Since the machine starts too unreliably I'm going to pitch the mobo into
> the recycle bin...
>

> unless someone here has an idea I've missed

It could be in the motherboard or in the connections or it could
be that
you have a faulty power supply.

Make sure all the connections - right up to the wall power socket
- are very
firmly in place. First shut down the box and then pull each
connector out and push
it back firmly into place. Restart.

Good luck!
From: John McGaw on
philo wrote:
> I've got a GA-K8N Pro-sli on the workbench
>
> It typically takes 8 - 12 tries to get it to boot up..
> but once booted the machine runs fine.
>
> I've tried everything I can think up...
> reflashed the bios with a newer one.
>
> Tried a different power supply / ram / video card etc
>
> even changed the cmos battery
>

> Since the machine starts too unreliably I'm going to pitch the mobo into
> the recycle bin...
>

> unless someone here has an idea I've missed

Exactly what happens when it _doesn't_ boot? Fans, lights, BIOS display,
tries to load OS, etc? I've got a machine in the basement which doesn't
boot every time but I know for a fact that it is simply a bad power switch
in the case and it doesn't make contact every time I press it. I've been
too lazy to see about replacing the switch for two years now and have
gotten quite used to it.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
From: Paul on
philo wrote:
> I've got a GA-K8N Pro-sli on the workbench
>
> It typically takes 8 - 12 tries to get it to boot up..
> but once booted the machine runs fine.
>
> I've tried everything I can think up...
> reflashed the bios with a newer one.
>
> Tried a different power supply / ram / video card etc
>
> even changed the cmos battery
>

> Since the machine starts too unreliably I'm going to pitch the mobo into
> the recycle bin...
>

> unless someone here has an idea I've missed

It has Dual BIOS, so you'd probably have to reflash it twice,
if you wanted to be absolutely certain both BIOS choices were
running the same version. As far as I know, the Gigabyte scheme
uses one boot block and two main BIOS code blocks, so there
is only one boot block to run the whole thing. Meaning, if
the boot block is damaged, then the dual BIOS won't work.

Check that the settings have returned to defaults.
Load setup defaults or whatever. Make sure the processor
used, is listed in the support chart.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=1883#anchor_os

There were a few AMD processors, that suffered from
electromigration due to overclocking. If you suspect
that is the case (user abuse), you can try running the processor
below stock speed, and see if that helps.

You can check the reviews on Newegg, and see if there
is a common theme.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=13-128-301&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&Page=1

It is possible the PCI Express slots are sensitive to static.
Carefully set the paddle card, to x8/x8 mode, on the
off chance that the video will work better if only
half the bus is being used. Use antistatic precautions,
like a wrist strap, while changing the paddlecard, just
in case.

It is kinda amazing, that a single chip Nvidia chipset solution,
can run without a cooling fan.

Your problem could be occurring while the boot block is doing
its thing, so in fact the problem could be entirely at stock
speeds. I don't know whether a board like that, does a double
restart to apply user settings or not. If it does do something
like that, there might not be much in fact that you can do with
the BIOS, to influence the problem.

Drop to one stick of RAM and see if that helps.

Paul
From: philo on
John McGaw wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> I've got a GA-K8N Pro-sli on the workbench
>>
>> It typically takes 8 - 12 tries to get it to boot up..
>> but once booted the machine runs fine.
>>
>> I've tried everything I can think up...
>> reflashed the bios with a newer one.
>>
>> Tried a different power supply / ram / video card etc
>>
>> even changed the cmos battery
>>

>> Since the machine starts too unreliably I'm going to pitch the mobo
>> into the recycle bin...
>>

>> unless someone here has an idea I've missed
>
> Exactly what happens when it _doesn't_ boot? Fans, lights, BIOS display,
> tries to load OS, etc? I've got a machine in the basement which doesn't
> boot every time but I know for a fact that it is simply a bad power
> switch in the case and it doesn't make contact every time I press it.
> I've been too lazy to see about replacing the switch for two years now
> and have gotten quite used to it.

All the fans spin up...
but the machine never posts