From: Dave on
FWIW, I install it then activate it. I then copy the entire folder to a
CDRW. Then uninstall it from the computer using the usual add/remove in
winxp. Copying the folder back seems to work for me as a no-install
program. There may be some drawbacks but I am not aware of them yet. No
doubt someone will enlighten me.

Regards

Dave
From: red nosed reindeer on
which app are you referring to?

From: Dave on
Brian Arthur Robertson wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> FWIW, I install it then activate it. I then copy the entire folder to
>> a CDRW. Then uninstall it from the computer using the usual add/remove
>> in winxp. Copying the folder back seems to work for me as a no-install
>> program. There may be some drawbacks but I am not aware of them yet.
>> No doubt someone will enlighten me.
>
> This probably isn't a true no-install technique, as the program is
> probably relying on registry entries and folders that were created
> during and after installation, that weren't removed during the
> un-install process. You can test this by copying over a GOTD program to
> a computer that never had it previously.

Well it was installed on one computer then the folder copied to another
computer. Ran okay. Well atleast I haven't seen any negative effects
yet. :-)

Tried with Astra, Able Midi and thumb nail creator. No problems......so far!

Dave
From: Ron May on
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:13:48 +0000, Dave <dave(a)gmail.no-spam.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, I install it then activate it. I then copy the entire folder to a
> CDRW. Then uninstall it from the computer using the usual add/remove in
> winxp. Copying the folder back seems to work for me as a no-install
> program. There may be some drawbacks but I am not aware of them yet. No
> doubt someone will enlighten me.

As Brian pointed out, that probably doesn't make most apps portable.

First, setup programs usually create files and folders the software
needs to operate (to store data, etc.,) install and register any .dll
or .ocx files it needs, and also to make registry changes to remember
things like your preferences and MRU list. (I wish more authors would
revert back to putting everything in the progrram's working directory
with the option to put the data files elsewhere. That would make more
programs portable.)

Second, in the case of software that needs to be registered, the key
is usually stored in HKLM/Software or HKCU/Software rather than in the
..ini file, so you have to hunt for it. Example: For today's GOTD
offering, Total Doc Converter, the registration key is stored in:

HKCU\Software\Helmsman\TotalDocConverter - "Key"

Sometimes the key is simple to find. Other times not so much. One
technique I have used is to install the program, run it once, close
it, then open up Sysintenals/Winternals Regmon. After clearing results
and making sure capture is on, I click "Activate.exe." I then close
capture, and either scroll or search results for program name, vendor
name or whatever I think will narrow the results.

If you're looking for a key on software that's already installed,
RegSeeker works pretty well as an alternative.

Now what? From the editor of your choice, export the key to a .reg
file. In the above, I exported all of HKCU\Software\Helmsman\ which
is only 750 bytes anyway. I put one copy in the program's working
directory, and another in the downloaded .zip file.

Now if I need to write the key down, I can open the .reg file in
notepad. If I need to reinstall the program later for whatever
reason, I can extract the .zip file, run setup, run the program once,
close it, then merge the .reg file and I'm good to go. Alternatively,
if the program allows it, I can register by a copy/paste of just the
key value from the .reg file.

Does that violate the EULA? Maybe, but I think I'm within "fair use"
as long as I did the first install within the required time, I don't
redistribute a key to others, and I only reinstall on a new drive in
the same (or direct replacement) computer. Is it worth the effort?
Probably not. I'm likely to uninstall TotalDocConverter as I just
used it for tutorial purposes in this post. Readers have more than 14
hours left as I write this to check the technique for themselves.

--
Ron M.
From: Ron May on
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:13:39 -0600, Ron May <mayron(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Example: For today's GOTD
> offering, Total Doc Converter, the registration key is stored in:

Followup: In terms of being useful, BTW, this program sucks. It
failed to convert most of the files I tried, and the results were poor
on most of the rest. It's probably better to use a combination of
programs most of us already have.

--
Ron M.