From: pavunkumar on

Is there any way to give the password through variables.

For example we are executing scp, ssh , passwd command , Normally it
will ask password in that prompt. I wanted to give value for that by
assigning some variable values.

For example:

[$home] ssh abubacker(a)192.168.8.20
abubacker(a)192.168.8.20's password:

Instead of prompting , it needs to get the password from some
variable.

From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<c4bbf2b1-36c2-4e4c-8cda-4aedda4aae2a(a)m27g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,
pavunkumar <pavun.bks(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to give the password through variables.
>
> For example we are executing scp, ssh , passwd command , Normally it
> will ask password in that prompt. I wanted to give value for that by
> assigning some variable values.
>
> For example:
>
> [$home] ssh abubacker(a)192.168.8.20
> abubacker(a)192.168.8.20's password:
>
> Instead of prompting , it needs to get the password from some
> variable.

You'd need to use an Expect script.

But better would be to use public/private keys and ssh-agent.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: mop2 on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:36:34 -0200, pavunkumar <pavun.bks(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there any way to give the password through variables.
>
> For example we are executing scp, ssh , passwd command , Normally
> it
> will ask password in that prompt. I wanted to give value for that
> by
> assigning some variable values.
>
> For example:
>
> [$home] ssh abubacker(a)192.168.8.20
> abubacker(a)192.168.8.20's password:
>
> Instead of prompting , it needs to get the password from some
> variable.

search for
sshpass
in:
groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/topics?gvc=2
From: pavunkumar on
On Feb 19, 2:35 pm, mop2 <inva...(a)mail.address> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:36:34 -0200, pavunkumar <pavun....(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Is there any way to give the password through variables.
>
> > For example we are executing scp, ssh , passwd command , Normally
> > it
> > will ask password in that prompt. I wanted to give value for that
> > by
> > assigning some variable values.
>
> > For example:
>
> > [$home] ssh abubac...(a)192.168.8.20
> > abubac...(a)192.168.8.20's password:
>
> > Instead of prompting , it needs to get the password from some
> > variable.
>
> search for
> sshpass
> in:
> groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/topics?gvc=2

Question is very simple , I have script for executing passwd
command

passwd.sh

#!/bin/sh

mypass='twinkle' ;
# Assume that my password is twinkle . Now I want to assign passwd
command .
passwd

Like that I wanted do . So , will not prompt the user in terminal
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <3fb598ba-a96e-4e65-a603-6a077bdeca79(a)c34g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
pavunkumar <pavun.it(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Question is very simple , I have script for executing passwd
>command
>
>passwd.sh
>
>#!/bin/sh
>
>mypass='twinkle' ;
># Assume that my password is twinkle . Now I want to assign passwd
>command .
>passwd
>
>Like that I wanted do . So , will not prompt the user in terminal

Barry's answer was correct, although expressed in usual Usenet/Unix-man-page
style (I.e., unless you already know the answer, the answer won't make
any sense to you).

Anyway, what it boils down to is this:

1) In theory, you should be able to do this with ordinary I/O "redirection",
but programs that prompt for a password often explicitly refuse to
work with redirection, as a "safety/security" feature. Note that
some GNU programs have extensions that allow you to force the
program to read from standard input, but this is "swimming against
the stream/making the program do something it doesn't want to do".
2) You can use the "Expect" program to get around the limitation
described above. Expect is a really cool program that everyone
should learn and use, but, as indicated next, it isn't really
necessary here, and the better solution is:
3) The SSH program suite supports "public key encryption", which is a
magical way of getting around this problem. If you can use it, you
should.