From: James Allsopp on
Hi,
How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option,
to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to
manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from
it.

Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.

Thanks!
From: Camaleón on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:56:55 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:

> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an
> option, to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying
> when I need to manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to
> recover data from it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian
> Squeeze.

Yep, that "combo" ("gnome-volume-manager" and "gconf") could work.

Open gconf editor and browse to "apps/nautilus/preferences/", uncheck
"[ ] media_automount". That should avoid auto-mounting USB disks.

Then, you could add an applet to the panel called "disk automounter" and
do it from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

El 2010-08-11 a las 12:03 +0100, James Allsopp escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 11 August 2010 11:57, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> > Yep, that "combo" ("gnome-volume-manager" and "gconf") could work.
> >
> > Open gconf editor and browse to "apps/nautilus/preferences/", uncheck
> > "[ ] media_automount". That should avoid auto-mounting USB disks.
> >
> > Then, you could add an applet to the panel called "disk automounter" and
> > do it from there.

> Just wondering what's causing the automounting at the moment though?
> Ideally all I want is a dialogue to ask me before it automounts.

GNOME implements an "automount" feature in join with udev and
automount-fs, I guess.

About how to get the dialog prompt before mounting a device, dunno if it
is configurable in that way :-? (I barely remember that option was
indeed present in KDE 3.5 but those great days are now gone :-P).

I get a prompt when inserting some sort of media (camera or cell phone
with photos) in oder to perform any action with it but not for mounting
it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:56:55AM CEST, James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp(a)googlemail.com> said:
> Hi,
> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option, to
> ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to
> manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.

check wether you've got usb-automount also. As name says it is used to
automount usb devices.

--
Erwan

2010/8/11 James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp(a)googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option,
> to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to
> manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from
> it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.
>
> Thanks!

Launch gconf-editor, go to /apps/nautilus/preferences, and set
accordingly to your taste the flags media_automount and
media_automount_open

--
enzotib