From: Richard Maine on
Ron Shepard <ron-shepard(a)NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
[on Robin's paraphrase of me]

> I have to say that the
> above two sentences are not accurate representations of posts to
> this thread for the past few days.

I'd agree. Seems like every time he cites someone, including himself, he
has to paraphrase the citation to twist it into whatever he wants to
claim it said instead of what it actually said. (But then when you quote
his exact words, apparently that's a misrepresentation of what he said
because those words really meant something else). This is a familliar
pattern. I see no point in detailing the corrections. I'll now go back
to ignoring Robin's posts as not worth responding to.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: mecej4 on
Richard Maine wrote:

> mecej4 <mecej4.nyetspam(a)opFeramail.com> wrote:
>
>> Richard Maine wrote:
>>
>> > Probably f66 compiler manuals. IBM was quite late in releasing their
>> > f77. I forget the exact date. I think it was before 1985, but I know it
>> > was late,
>>
>> I have a copy of IBM GC26-3986-1, Release 1.1, the 2nd. edition, January
>> 1982, VS FORTRAN, Application Programming: Language Reference. The
>> preface says "... includes full ANS FORTRAN plus IBM extensions".
>>
>> ENTRY is definitely there, and is covered in pages 81-83.
>
> That doesn't tell me for sure whether it was f77 or f66 plus ENTRY as an
> externsion. After all, f66 was also an ANS Fortran. I'm fairly sure I
> recall some IBM f66 compilers as having ENTRY as an extension. In fact,
> I think I recall having some porting pains because both the IBM and CDC
> compilers had ENTRY, but with different syntax. I think the CDC
> extension had no argument list on the ENTRY, though I could be confusing
> different compilers on that.

The preface says "includes full ANS FORTRAN (X3.9-1978) plus IBM
extensions". The abbreviation "F77" had probably not yet been created.

In this manual, ENTRY is not flagged as an extension. Having a different
argument list than that in the preceding SUBROUTINE or FUNCTION declaration
is stated as being allowed.

-- mecej4
From: Richard Maine on
mecej4 <mecej4.nyetspam(a)opFeramail.com> wrote:

> Richard Maine wrote:

> > That doesn't tell me for sure whether it was f77 or f66 plus ENTRY as an
> > externsion.

> The preface says "includes full ANS FORTRAN (X3.9-1978) plus IBM
> extensions".

Ah. That's more explicit then.

> In this manual, ENTRY is not flagged as an extension.

Right. It would not be an extension as it is part of full ANS Fortran
(X3.9-1978), though not of subset ANS Fortran X3.9-1978. (For f77, the
full and subset languages were described on facing pages of the same
document, unlike f66, where they were different documents.)

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Nick Maclaren on
In article <1jmwntg.82slc6quhxewN%nospam(a)see.signature>,
Richard Maine <nospam(a)see.signature> wrote:
>mecej4 <mecej4.nyetspam(a)opFeramail.com> wrote:
>> Richard Maine wrote:
>
>> > That doesn't tell me for sure whether it was f77 or f66 plus ENTRY as an
>> > externsion.
>
>> The preface says "includes full ANS FORTRAN (X3.9-1978) plus IBM
>> extensions".
>
>Ah. That's more explicit then.

VS Fortran was the compiler I described the history of.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Gary L. Scott on
On 8/8/2010 2:44 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article<1jmwntg.82slc6quhxewN%nospam(a)see.signature>,
> Richard Maine<nospam(a)see.signature> wrote:
>> mecej4<mecej4.nyetspam(a)opFeramail.com> wrote:

>>> The preface says "includes full ANS FORTRAN (X3.9-1978) plus IBM
>>> extensions".
>>
>> Ah. That's more explicit then.
>
> VS Fortran was the compiler I described the history of.

I use it to this day, in fact last week...