From: Uno on
So, I've been thinking about how to document how one uses gfortran on
windows and intend to use my own tendency to think a picture is worth
between 3 and 5 paragraphs.

I could sit here tapping the keys to describe my first quandary with
this material, and where the hms pinafore was helping out, but a picture
also reveals the point of view of the user:

http://i33.tinypic.com/11liuep.jpg

I followed the mingw link this time, as opposed to going to
equation.com. I couldn't find binaries when directed along the path
that the gfortran folks seemed to want to send me down.

I've never had a problem with the products from equation.com, but I
wanted to see what else was out there.

So, If I'm a person who is well-advised to get a mingw 32 bit xp binary,
where was I to find it?
--
Uno

From: gmail-unlp on
On Aug 6, 9:10 am, Uno <merrilljen...(a)q.com> wrote:
> So, I've been thinking about how to document how one uses gfortran on
> windows and intend to use my own tendency to think a picture is worth
> between 3 and 5 paragraphs.
>
> I could sit here tapping the keys to describe my first quandary with
> this material, and where the hms pinafore was helping out, but a picture
> also reveals the point of view of the user:
>
> http://i33.tinypic.com/11liuep.jpg
>
> I followed the mingw link this time, as opposed to going to
> equation.com.  I couldn't find binaries when directed along the path
> that the gfortran folks seemed to want to send me down.
>
> I've never had a problem with the products from equation.com, but I
> wanted to see what else was out there.
>
> So, If I'm a person who is well-advised to get a mingw 32 bit xp binary,
> where was I to find it?
> --
> Uno

Hi,

I'm not well-advised, but some time ago I've installed Code::Blocks
with mingw included and now I found I have gfortran as well. I guess
gfortran is included in mingw binaries...

Hope this helps,

Fernando.
From: gmail-unlp on
On Aug 6, 10:06 am, gmail-unlp <ftine...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 9:10 am, Uno <merrilljen...(a)q.com> wrote:
>

> > So, I've been thinking about how to document how one uses gfortran on
> > windows and intend to use my own tendency to think a picture is worth
> > between 3 and 5 paragraphs.
>
> > I could sit here tapping the keys to describe my first quandary with
> > this material, and where the hms pinafore was helping out, but a picture
> > also reveals the point of view of the user:
>
> >http://i33.tinypic.com/11liuep.jpg
>
> > I followed the mingw link this time, as opposed to going to
> > equation.com.  I couldn't find binaries when directed along the path
> > that the gfortran folks seemed to want to send me down.
>
> > I've never had a problem with the products from equation.com, but I
> > wanted to see what else was out there.
>
> > So, If I'm a person who is well-advised to get a mingw 32 bit xp binary,
> > where was I to find it?
> > --
> > Uno
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not well-advised, but some time ago I've installed Code::Blocks
> with mingw included and now I found I have gfortran as well. I guess
> gfortran is included in mingw binaries...
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Fernando.

Just as another consequence of not being well-advised, I realized that
I've not obtained gfortran via Code::Blocks but specifically by
installing

tdm-mingw-1.908.0-4.4.1-2.exe

which I downloaded some months ago from

http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/
(maybe there are newer versions)

And, at install time, I required to install every available language
(i.e. including Fortran)

Fernando.
From: Walt Brainerd on
Uno wrote:
> So, I've been thinking about how to document how one uses gfortran on
> windows and intend to use my own tendency to think a picture is worth
> between 3 and 5 paragraphs.
>
> I could sit here tapping the keys to describe my first quandary with
> this material, and where the hms pinafore was helping out, but a picture
> also reveals the point of view of the user:
>
> http://i33.tinypic.com/11liuep.jpg
>
> I followed the mingw link this time, as opposed to going to
> equation.com. I couldn't find binaries when directed along the path
> that the gfortran folks seemed to want to send me down.
>
> I've never had a problem with the products from equation.com, but I
> wanted to see what else was out there.
>
> So, If I'm a person who is well-advised to get a mingw 32 bit xp binary,
> where was I to find it?

I, too, need some help/advice with this.

I am using an AMD 64 with XP.

I have been running both g95 and gfortran for years with Cygwin and
decided to see how things work with MinGW. I spent a long time chasing
links to and from gnu, gfortran, wiki, sourceforge, etc. Finally found
three versions to try. One doesn't appear to contain gfortran (g77 is
there). Another (gfortran.org I think) and the one from equations.com
seem to install and gfortran.exe is in C:\gfortran\bin in both cases,
but when I try to execute it, I get "Access denied". Trying with a
bash shell gives "Permission denied". All the .exe files in the bin
directory have execute permission.

There are several versions from each site and I am not even sure which
ones to try.

Next I tried g95. It installed, but gave the message

g95: _spawnvp: Exec format error

Any ideas? Thanks.

I also have a laptop i3 with W7. I'll try it next.

Walt Brainerd
From: Walt Brainerd on
Walt Brainerd wrote:
> Uno wrote:
>> So, I've been thinking about how to document how one uses gfortran on
>> windows and intend to use my own tendency to think a picture is worth
>> between 3 and 5 paragraphs.
>>
>> I could sit here tapping the keys to describe my first quandary with
>> this material, and where the hms pinafore was helping out, but a
>> picture also reveals the point of view of the user:
>>
>> http://i33.tinypic.com/11liuep.jpg
>>
>> I followed the mingw link this time, as opposed to going to
>> equation.com. I couldn't find binaries when directed along the path
>> that the gfortran folks seemed to want to send me down.
>>
>> I've never had a problem with the products from equation.com, but I
>> wanted to see what else was out there.
>>
>> So, If I'm a person who is well-advised to get a mingw 32 bit xp
>> binary, where was I to find it?
>
> I, too, need some help/advice with this.
>
> I am using an AMD 64 with XP.
>
> I have been running both g95 and gfortran for years with Cygwin and
> decided to see how things work with MinGW. I spent a long time chasing
> links to and from gnu, gfortran, wiki, sourceforge, etc. Finally found
> three versions to try. One doesn't appear to contain gfortran (g77 is
> there). Another (gfortran.org I think) and the one from equations.com
> seem to install and gfortran.exe is in C:\gfortran\bin in both cases,
> but when I try to execute it, I get "Access denied". Trying with a
> bash shell gives "Permission denied". All the .exe files in the bin
> directory have execute permission.
>
> There are several versions from each site and I am not even sure which
> ones to try.
>
> Next I tried g95. It installed, but gave the message
>
> g95: _spawnvp: Exec format error
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> I also have a laptop i3 with W7. I'll try it next.
>
> Walt Brainerd

Well, I seemed to have stumbled on the cause of my problems.
I renamed the Cygwin directory and all seems OK.

It works on both computers (the version from
gnu.gcc.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesWindows).

G95 still has a problem, but I think it is now
a library path problem.