From: maps on
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:24:16 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> brought the following to our attention:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:57:01 -0600, Ed wrote:
>
>> Ok.. it seems to be working ok with no sponsored shenanigans, etc.
>> Only thing is that I selected that data be put in D:/Eudora folder but
>> it didn't make a `data� folder.. just put the MBX, TOC and /Embedded
>> folder in the root Eudora 7.0 directory. Can I simple EDIT something
>> and then put all the mbx, toc, ini, pce in a D:/Eudora 7.0/Mail folder
>> without uninstalling and re-installing?
>
>Why not use the original mail folder?
>
>If you installed the 7.1.0.9 programs exactly where the 5.2 programs were,
>and used an existing program launching shortcut for 5.2
>(if it specified where the original mail folder was),
>then everything should have continued as before,
>waking up with the same mail, same settings, etc.t

Ok.. that makes sense, but it was way too risky for me, as I already
mentioned that I could not compromise existing email capability. Now that
7.0 is installed would it be good to just uninstall?.. and would the Reg go
back in smoothly like before? Have make a copy of /Eudora 5.0 on the
MyBook drive and could just as well copy it to folder /Eudora 7.0 and
install there.. provided it would take the Reg without problems.

Another weird thing. There's no Eudora 5.0 uninstall block in Add/Remove
software, Control Panel. There's one that says Eudora but it's ambiguous
as to 5.0 or 7.0 so that is somewhat of a risk for me too.

One idea I had was to put data in a folder /- Data or /- Mail which makes
that subfolder rise to the top near the root directory. Another thing is.. there
was no import from a previous Eudora function. Guess that means to install
right over top of 5.0?

I could leave it as-is, but it doesn't have all the mail, filters and ini settings
that 5.0 had. So now the route of uninstalling, then copying 5.0 to 7.0 folder
and re-installing over top of NEW fully loaded 7.0 folder seems good. What
do you think?

-Ed

>If one starts Eudora with a shortcut _not_ specifying where the mail folder is,
>and has told the installer that the default location to look for
>is a folder that doesn't exist, and is not the same location as before,
>then Eudora searches around, using logic found in its "Readme.txt" file
>("Precisely how Eudora determines its data folder")
>
>A program-launching shortcut whose "Target" (command) line is:
>
> "Path to Eudora.exe" "Path to existing email folder"
>
>tells Eudora to use a specific email folder,
>which might as well be the same one you were using
>(or else an exact and complete copy),
>which ought to make things most simple and easy.
>
>A backup (via "zip," for example) can save one from concern
>about Eudora 7 eating older mail (which it won't do,
>Southern manners and hospitality being much too refined
>to allow that sort of thing. :)

Yes yes.. understand that.. you ought to go up to the northeast
and note the snooty touch-holes up there!!! LoL

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:50:30 -0600, Ed wrote:

> Now that 7.0 [7.1.0.9?] is installed would it be good to just uninstall [5.2?]

Not necessary.

> and would the Reg go back in smoothly like before?

Just enter new registration info manually
("Help," "Payment & Registration," "Enter Your Code")
after having begun using the right permanent mail folder.

The registration info is saved in options file "Eudora.ini"
within the current mail folder, so any future use of the same mail folder
will find the registration info (any old version 5.2 registration
would not have remained valid for latest version, but latest
registration info is valid for every version ever released).

> Have made a copy of /Eudora 5.0 on the MyBook drive
> and could just as well copy it to folder /Eudora 7.0 and
> install there.. provided it would take the Reg without problems.

Eudora is simple, robust,
and has been using essentially identical mail and settings data
for many years, moving effortlessly from version to version.

I have tested using one common mail "data" folder
while alternating between running several different
Eudora program versions (5.2.1, 6.2.5.6, and 7.1.0.9);
all the different Eudora versions just keep working
with the same mail, same settings, and same registration info,
all of which is stored within the same "mail data folder."

Just find a "home" for both the Eudora program files
and your original mail, make a shortcut linking those,
and you will be all set.

Ideally, the program files and mail "data" folder
are separate (and Vista now tries to enforce this),
but a "legacy" installation where programs and mail
are in the same folder still works (although Vista
will normally require running as admin and turning off
the UAC security features to continue doing this).

As already mentioned, when you start Eudora using a "shortcut,"
with the (quoted) complete path to the current mail folder
following the (quoted) complete path to the latest Eudora.exe,
then Eudora will automatically use as its current mail folder
the second path in the shortcut command line ("Target").

> Another weird thing. There's no Eudora 5.0 uninstall block in Add/Remove
> software, Control Panel. There's one that says Eudora but it's ambiguous
> as to 5.0 or 7.0 so that is somewhat of a risk for me too.

No need to uninstall anything.

If program files for v5 were in some directory containing neither
any of your mail or any newly installed program files for v7,
then you can optionally delete the original, obsolete folder
(or just move it somewhere, e.g. to your "Desktop" or to
"My Documents," until things are seen to be working fine
with it no longer being around).

Otherwise don't even delete anything.

> One idea I had was to put data in a folder /- Data or /- Mail which makes
> that subfolder rise to the top near the root directory. Another thing is..
> there was no import from a previous Eudora function. Guess that means
> to install right over top of 5.0?

I have always installed new programs to the same place as old version;
the default location (thru XP) is normally "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora"
(doesn't have to be, but Windows better protects the "Program Files" area)

> I could leave it as-is, but it doesn't have all the mail, filters and ini settings
> that 5.0 had. So now the route of uninstalling, then copying 5.0 to 7.0 folder
> and re-installing over top of NEW fully loaded 7.0 folder seems good.
> What do you think?

All the original "mail, filters and ini settings" are in one folder.

As soon as Eudora v7 is started with that folder designated as its mail folder,
all of the original stuff will be found, exactly as it was.

If the mail was originally in the "Program Files" folder,
then installing v7 programs into that same folder will update the programs
and usually automatically find the same mail.

Alternatively, install the new program files anywhere,
move or copy the original mail folder (even if containing old programs)
to anywhere else, make a program-launching shortcut
containing both paths (each quoted), and "fire it up."

From: maps on
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:21:58 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> brought the following to our attention:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:50:30 -0600, Ed wrote:
>
>Just enter new registration info manually
>("Help," "Payment & Registration," "Enter Your Code")
>after having begun using the right permanent mail folder.
>
>The registration info is saved in options file "Eudora.ini" within
>the current mail folder, so any future use of the same mail folder
>will find the registration info (any old version 5.2 registration
>would not have remained valid for latest version, but latest
>registration info is valid for every version ever released).
>
>> Have made a copy of /Eudora 5.0 on the MyBook drive
>> and could just as well copy it to folder /Eudora 7.0 and
>> install there.. provided it would take the Reg without problems.
>
>Eudora is simple, robust,
>and has been using essentially identical mail and settings data
>for many years, moving effortlessly from version to version.
>
>I have tested using one common mail "data" folder
>while alternating between running several different
>Eudora program versions (5.2.1, 6.2.5.6, and 7.1.0.9);
>all the different Eudora versions just keep working
>with the same mail, same settings, and same registration info,
>all of which is stored within the same "mail data folder."

All seems to be working ok now. I installed to D:/Eudora 7.0 folder
and made a folder D:/Eudora 7.0/- data which is at the top of the
folder tree. Also under that folder is D:/Eudora 7.0/- offline - where
I stick mailboxes and toc that would otherwise slow things down.

D:/Eudora 7.0
- data
- offline -
Emoticons

So.. then I copied all the contents from the old D:/Eudora 5.0/data
folder to the new 7.0/- data folder, edited the Reg code block in
Eudora.ini and it seems to be fine.

Next I'll take your advise and make the `data� folder a stand-alone
folder and point both 5.2 and 7.1 to it using the latest Reg code
in the ini file (if this would be ok with no corruption) since Eudora 5.2
starts up cleaner and faster that 7.1 which BTW shows a blank face
for some moments before the IN box appears. At least 5.2 starts up
smooth and shows its face, then draws in the minimized mailbox icons
at the bottom.

What significant advantages does 7.x have over 5.x since one of
my complaints was the way Eudora handled inserting GIF files? One
think I could use is a mailbox manager app or applet. :))

Otherwise.. woohoo Eudora!!

-Ed

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:42:23 -0600, Ed wrote:

> So.. then I copied all the contents from the old D:/Eudora 5.0/data
> folder to the new 7.0/- data folder, edited the Reg code block in
> Eudora.ini and it seems to be fine.

"Enter Your Code" does the same, but "all roads lead to Rome" :)

> Eudora 5.2 starts up cleaner and faster than 7.1

At least 7.1 starts :)

Little tweaks:

NeverRegister=1
DontShowAudit=1
DontShowUpdates=1
NoSplashScreen=1

How much stuff is in "Search" mail subfolder?

http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/6.1.1/RelNotes.txt
http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/RelNotes.txt

> since one of my complaints was the way Eudora handled inserting GIF files?

Any specifics?

> One thing I could use is a mailbox manager app or applet. :))

Got plugins?

http://e-gadgets.freehostia.com/plugins.htm
http://www.windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm

From: John H Meyers on
7.1 features list:
http://www.eudora.com/email/features/windows/

User Manual, Quick Start Guide, New Features Guide
http://eudora.com/download/ (plus S/MIME Plugin)
or
http://eudora.com/techsupport/manuals.html

--