From: shasta1987 on
I am looking for a way to visually display dependencies between different
tasks within a project. (more than just the standard 'critical tasks'
report.) Does anyone have a interesting way to display this in some sort of
graphic chart that is appropriate for 'management'? (exporting into excel or
powerpoint, etc would be just fine.)

Thank you!!!
From: Jim Aksel on
Did you try View/Network Diagram?
You can filter in the Gantt Chart view to display only a select group of
tasks. Then when you go to the network view you will only see the filtered
tasks.

There is a companion product called Pert Chart Expert (criticaltools.com)
that also works well
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

From: shasta1987 on
Thank you very much Jim. I also have downloaded the demo version of the Pert
Chart Expert.

I *greatly* appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

From: Steve P on
For small segments of a schedule that has very complex logic or training new
users to CPM scheduling, I have used a DSM (Designed Structured Matrix).

It is a Excel table with task on top and on the left. All the MS Project
tasks must be below the diagonal (top-left to bottom-right). If anyone can
find logic should be above the diagonal, you would have a circular reference
error in MS Project or an iteration loop. This typically happens in
design-rich projects. Not enough understanding, time, or schedule risk is
allowed for these type of impacts. A good paper for this is
http:http://sdg.csail.mit.edu/pubs/2005/oopsla05-dsm.pdf

I found some Monte Carlo simulations for this as well.

Pert charts tend to be very large, requiring a large-format plotter. With
complex logic, very difficult to read.

Steve P

From: Prasad on
On Apr 12, 3:28 pm, shasta1987 <shasta1...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am looking for a way to visually display dependencies between different
> tasks within a project.  (more than just the standard 'critical tasks'
> report.)  Does anyone have a interesting way to display this in some sort of
> graphic chart that is appropriate for 'management'?

How does the spaghetti network diagram at www.optisol.biz/network.htm
look like?
This feature is now integrated with an Excel-based project scheduling
tool.

Prasad