From: aprogrammer on
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good book or books on data structures? I couldn't
find an obvious news group to post in, but given Ada and Ada people have a
software-engineering approach lacking in many other communities I figured
to ask here.

I understand and have implemented things like stacks, queues, and
linked-lists in various projects. I never learned about data structures
such as trees, and I'm sure there are many more I don't know about. I'm not
interested in theory for the sake of theory, since I'm a practising
software designer. What I am interested in is having the right kit of tools
so I can apply the correct solution to the job. So I need good, practical
sources rather than mathematical. I'm concerned about things such as
clarity and performance in the code I write.

I prefer to stay away from books choosing this or that programming language
as the lexicon, although books in Ada would be acceptable because of Ada's
clarity. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Cheers.
From: Phil Thornley on
On 14 May, 09:23, aprogram...(a)nospam.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book or books on data structures? I couldn't
> find an obvious news group to post in, but given Ada and Ada people have a
> software-engineering approach lacking in many other communities I figured
> to ask here.

The most obvious one referencing Ada is Mike Feldman's "Software
Construction and Data Structures with Ada95".
ISBN 0-201-88795-9. It still seems to be in print.

Cheers,

Phil
From: Martin on
On May 14, 9:23 am, aprogram...(a)nospam.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book or books on data structures? I couldn't
> find an obvious news group to post in, but given Ada and Ada people have a
> software-engineering approach lacking in many other communities I figured
> to ask here.
>
> I understand and have implemented things like stacks, queues, and
> linked-lists in various projects. I never learned about data structures
> such as trees, and I'm sure there are many more I don't know about. I'm not
> interested in theory for the sake of theory, since I'm a practising
> software designer. What I am interested in is having the right kit of tools
> so I can apply the correct solution to the job. So I need good, practical
> sources rather than mathematical. I'm concerned about things such as
> clarity and performance in the code I write.
>
> I prefer to stay away from books choosing this or that programming language
> as the lexicon, although books in Ada would be acceptable because of Ada's
> clarity. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
>
> Cheers.

Although neither is specific to Ada,

Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein

and

Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs by Wirth

are both excellent. CLRS's is positively encyclopedic, while Wirth's
is an all time classic.

Both available via Amazon, eBay or even book shops!!

HTH
-- Martin
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Fri, 14 May 2010, Martin sent:

|"On May 14, 9:23 am, aprogram...(a)nospam.org wrote: |
|> Hi, |
|> |
[...]
| |
|Although neither is specific to Ada, |
| |
|Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein" |

Despite having waffle and mathematics, that is a good book overall
with a large quantity of algorithms.

|"and |
| |
|Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs by Wirth |
| |
|are both excellent. CLRS's is positively encyclopedic, while Wirth's |
|is an all time classic. |
| |
|Both available via Amazon, eBay or even book shops!! |
| |
|HTH |
|-- Martin" |

A newer version was available for gratis on Wirth's website. I have
not read any version thereof.

Though it had a fake language based on Java without exceptions, the
third edition of "Computer Algorithms: Introduction to Design &
Analysis" by Sara Baase and Allen Van Gelder, published by Addison
Wesley, was very good.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Anonymous wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book or books on data structures? I couldn't
> find an obvious news group to post in, but given Ada and Ada people have a
> software-engineering approach lacking in many other communities I figured
> to ask here.

I think you've come to the right place. I read several articles on
data structures on Wikipedia and liked them a lot. They include just
enough theory to help you choose which data structure to use and
sample implementations in various languages. You can start browsing
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_structure

the List of Data structures is particularly useful.

--
Ludovic Brenta.