From: digitig on
I've come back to this after getting nowhere a while ago -- this time
on a new computer so starting again from scratch.

I am trying to follow the instructions at http://asharp.martincarlisle.com/

I'm failing at the step "Then at the sourceforge download site, you
can get:
mgnat.zip"

The sourceforge site linked takes me to http://sourceforge.net/projects/asharp/,
and the "View all files" link takes me to http://sourceforge.net/projects/asharp/files/,
where I find and download mgnat20060606.zip

I unzip that into a temporary directory, and the readme tells me "To
register the DLLs:
cd dll
register_mgnat.bat"

I don't know whether "This must be done using a UNIX shell, such as
cygwin" or whether it should be done in a DOS shell, but either way I
get an error that gacutil is not a recognised command. What am I
missing?

Hoping that that might not matter for now, I try the next step:
To build compiler from sources:
mgnat.exe, mgnatbind.exe, mgnatmake.exe, mgnatlink.exe
(edit makefile to reflect your directory structure)

cd src
make mgnat

I can't work out how to edit the makefile -- I've tried setting the
paths to what I /think/ will be right when I make under Cygwin:
BUILD_DIR = /cygdrive/c/GNAT/2009/mgnat
DLL_DIR = /cygdrive/c/GNAT/2009/mgnat/dll
DLL_DOS_DIR = /cygdrive/c/GNAT/2009\mgnat\dll
# Directory inside which the MGNAT build is to take place. See the
section
# on "MGNAT Build Directory Organization" below.

GNAT_DIR = /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Ada/mgnat/src
# Directory containing the GNAT sources

################################
# Makefile Optional Parameters #
################################

MGNAT_DIR = $(GNAT_DIR)
# Directory containing the Ada, C and Java sources specific to
MGNAT

INSTALL_BASE = /cygdrive/c/GNAT/2009
# Directory where the MGNAT release is to be installed. If empty
"/" is used.

make mgnat fails with:
2 [main] make 3648 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed,
signal 6, rc258, Win32 error 0

I have no idea what that means. I'm way out of my comfort zone using
make and Cygwin -- is there an idiot's guide to getting A# installed
under MS Windows (Version 7, if that makes a difference), or could
somebody take me through this in small, simple steps, please? Or does
this mean that I'm not smart enough to use A#?
From: Pascal Obry on
Le 14/05/2010 14:44, digitig a �crit :
> I've come back to this after getting nowhere a while ago -- this time
> on a new computer so starting again from scratch.
>
> I am trying to follow the instructions at http://asharp.martincarlisle.com/

But why don't you use GNAT-JVM available with the GPL Edition of GNAT.
See download page at http://libre.adacore.com

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

From: Pascal Obry on
Le 14/05/2010 15:08, Pascal Obry a �crit :
> Le 14/05/2010 14:44, digitig a �crit :
>> I've come back to this after getting nowhere a while ago -- this time
>> on a new computer so starting again from scratch.
>>
>> I am trying to follow the instructions at http://asharp.martincarlisle.com/
>
> But why don't you use GNAT-JVM available with the GPL Edition of GNAT.
> See download page at http://libre.adacore.com

Of course I meant GNAT-dotnet and not GNAT-JVM above (Note that both are
available with the GPL compiler).

From: digitig on
On May 14, 2:16 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...(a)obry.net> wrote:

> > But why don't you use GNAT-JVM available with the GPL Edition of GNAT.
> > See download page athttp://libre.adacore.com
>
> Of course I meant GNAT-dotnet and not GNAT-JVM above (Note that both are
> available with the GPL compiler).

Try "Because I didn't know about it and I didn't spot it on my Google
search for "Ada .net" ;-)

Many thanks -- I'll look at that.
From: digitig on
On May 14, 2:16 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...(a)obry.net> wrote:
> Le 14/05/2010 15:08, Pascal Obry a écrit :
>
> > Le 14/05/2010 14:44, digitig a écrit :
> >> I've come back to this after getting nowhere a while ago -- this time
> >> on a new computer so starting again from scratch.
>
> >> I am trying to follow the instructions athttp://asharp.martincarlisle.com/
>
> > But why don't you use GNAT-JVM available with the GPL Edition of GNAT.
> > See download page athttp://libre.adacore.com
>
> Of course I meant GNAT-dotnet and not GNAT-JVM above (Note that both are
> available with the GPL compiler).

I can't get that working either. When I try to install, it tells me
that I need to install the .net SDK first. I've tried installing a
couple of different versions of the .net SDK, but still get the same
failure. So I'm back to my original question but with a different
compiler: are there detailed installation instructions for this
compiler somewhere, or can somebody give me step-by-step instructions?