From: Kenneth A. Larsen on

"MikeB" <mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I looked and found this really old thread (thank Google) on editors
> for VBScript.
>
> Unfortunately the price for VBSEdit is now $60, so it's a little more
> than I want to pay.
>
> Then I found a reference to the Microsoft Script Editor (MSE7.exe),
> which is still there in Office 2007.
>
> I was hoping this would be sufficient, but has it been deprecated or
> something?
>
> I cannot seem to get intellisense working in it, even if I follow the
> instructions in this old thread.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/browse_frm/thread/74ddee9d069d5e3e/4d0e51b618f18070?lnk=gst&q=editor#4d0e51b618f18070
>
> Any more recent comments on a good editor to use? I think my pain
> point is around $30, I'm afraid. Sorry if I'm a cheapskate.

Dear MikeB,
I can't believe that VBS Edit is now $60. By the way it's good to know that
MSE stands for Microsoft Script Editor. If your pain point is $30 it's cool.
No harm done. If there is a problem about that, please let me know by
emailing me at 2 addresses LarsenK(a)verizon.net or kuhlpc#2(a)opptimum.net.

From,
Kenny

From: Kenneth A. Larsen on

From: Kenneth A. Larsen on

On May 3, 5:40 pm, "Mayayana" <mayay...(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:
> | I cannot seem to get intellisense working in it, even if I follow the
> | instructions in this old thread.
> |http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/br...
> |
> | Any more recent comments on a good editor to use? I think my pain
> | point is around $30, I'm afraid. Sorry if I'm a cheapskate.
> |

> Your link comes up as an empty page for me, so
> I don't know what it says.

Try this link:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/msg/dcf0859335ff005a?dmode=source

It says:

>> After installing the MS Script Editor, I noticed that the Intellisense
>> wasn't working on my .vbs files. In order to make Intellisense work,
>> you
>> must do 2 things:
>>
>> 1. Rename a .vbs file to a .htm file.
>> 2. Add the following code:
>>
>> '<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBSCRIPT>
>> .
>> .
>> your script goes here
>> .
>> .
>> '</SCRIPT>

> Last I knew vbsEdit was free to use indefintely in
> the demo version, but I don't know if that's still true.

Yes, it is true, but it has a little nag screen when pening and then
every time I run a script it has a delay that increases by 1 second.
So in no time at all, I have to wait 10-15 seconds+ just to run a
script. Since I make a lot of mistakes, it means I waste a lot of time
waiting for their nags to pass.

Usually when I like software, I tend to buy it, but this is the first
time that I'm actually getting annoyed to the point of not buying it,
regardless.

> WEB-ED Editor. (Disclaimer: This is my own software.)

Thnaks, this one didn't come up on Google, so I'll look into it.

> I think PrimalScript might provide it within subs, but I
> haven't looked at that one for quite some time. And the
> price of PrimalScript is beyond absurd. Last I saw I think
> it was $300.

PrimaScript is ridiculous in price.

> http://www.jsware.net/jsware/webed.php5
>
> WEB-ED is $30. The trial version used to have a file
> length limit, but I recently changed that. The trial version
> now just has a splash screen and no support. If you
> want to put up with that you can use it for free.

As I said, I tend to pay for a tool if I use it on a consistent basis
and it is reasonably priced, so I'll definitely try out yours and see
how it works for me.

> I think that MS Office and Visual Studio used to
> accomodate VBScript with a little fiddling, but I'm
> not sure about that. I have VS6, but it never seemed
> worth the trouble to explore the options. It's quite
> a behemoth to fire up just for scripting.

Well, I still have the MSE7 executable in Office 2007, and it starts
up pretty fast, so if it had intellisense, I might just use it.

> Other options: There are lots of free editors around.
> Many have color coding (syntax highlighting) for
> VBScript. That might be sufficient for your needs.
> But very few have intellisense/auto-completion. What
> you'll find is mainly solid, bare-bones editors. You can
> recognize them because they typically claim to support
> 30-50 languages. They can provide that "support"
> because all they really do is to provide rudimentary
> color coding of keywords. But that in itself is a big
> help compared to just using Notepad.

I have a few editors (textpad, Notepad2, etc.) that colorcodes, but
I'm looking for th eintellisense part, since I find it very useful.

Dear MikeB,
If you can't seem to open an old threat you can ask how to do it on
http://ask.com/. If that doesn't work, please let me know by E-Mailing me at
2 addresses. LarsenK(a)verizon.net or kuhlpc#2(a)optimum.net.

From: Al Dunbar on

"Kenneth A. Larsen" <LarsenK(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> "MikeB" <mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I looked and found this really old thread (thank Google) on editors
>> for VBScript.
>>
>> Unfortunately the price for VBSEdit is now $60, so it's a little more
>> than I want to pay.
>>
>> Then I found a reference to the Microsoft Script Editor (MSE7.exe),
>> which is still there in Office 2007.
>>
>> I was hoping this would be sufficient, but has it been deprecated or
>> something?
>>
>> I cannot seem to get intellisense working in it, even if I follow the
>> instructions in this old thread.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/browse_frm/thread/74ddee9d069d5e3e/4d0e51b618f18070?lnk=gst&q=editor#4d0e51b618f18070
>>
>> Any more recent comments on a good editor to use? I think my pain
>> point is around $30, I'm afraid. Sorry if I'm a cheapskate.
>
> Dear MikeB,
> I can't believe that VBS Edit is now $60. By the way it's good to know
> that MSE stands for Microsoft Script Editor. If your pain point is $30
> it's cool. No harm done. If there is a problem about that, please let me
> know by emailing me at 2 addresses LarsenK(a)verizon.net or
> kuhlpc#2(a)opptimum.net.

Primal Script is my favourite editor, but its price has certainly kept pace
with its functionality. But they also have a free editor called PrimalPad. I
find it a bit light on features when compared to the full version, but would
probably use it if I didn't already have PrimalScript.

/Al