From: jean-daniel dodin on
Le 07/01/2010 18:45, Neil Harrington a �crit :

> Not in my personal experience, but I have read that even a fairly deep
> scratch is unlikely to make any visible difference in imaging.

urban legend... may be related to the focal length.

put a hair on the lens of a smartphone, you can see it (or it's
shadow). Try the same on a better lens with different aperture. after
all, experimenting is easy with digital cameras

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Le wiki des forums son-image fran�ais:
From: David Ruether on

"jean-daniel dodin" <jdd(a)dodin.org> wrote in message
> Le 07/01/2010 18:45, Neil Harrington a �crit :

>> Not in my personal experience, but I have read that even a fairly deep
>> scratch is unlikely to make any visible difference in imaging.

> urban legend... may be related to the focal length.

Yes. A relatively long focal length lens with a relatively large
sensor area would probably show little or no ill effect from
a fairly deep scratch even at a smallish stop with textured
subject material - but with a good WA converter on a good
1/3rd" CCD video camera set at WA, even the tiniest, barely
visible pin-prick sized "tick" in the front element glass can
show in side and back lighting conditions.

> put a hair on the lens of a smartphone, you can see it (or it's
> shadow). Try the same on a better lens with different aperture. after
> all, experimenting is easy with digital cameras
>
> jdd

Yes - this is one of the downsides of compact cameras. Even
a friend's Panasonic FZ35 had spoiled pictures likely resulting
from "spit marks" or condensation on the front element that
were difficult to see.
--DR

From: Paul Ciszek on

In article <4b45577f$0$1663$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
Ray Fischer <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
>Neil Harrington <never(a)home.com> wrote:
>>In well over 50 years of amateur photography I have NEVER used a filter "to
>>protect the lens," though I have used them for their design purpose,
>>filtering. I've never yet had a lens damaged by lacking a "filter for
>>protection."
>
>Bully for you. One trip to the beach on a windy day was enough to
>convince me that filters are very useful protection.
>
>Unless you _like_ the front of your lens coated with salt spray?

Even before this discussion, I was playing with the follwoing idea:

If you placed a sapphire (Al2O3) window between your lenses and the cruel
world, and coated the *inside* of the window with a MgF coating, you
would have an outside surface harder than anything except diamond,
that would be very difficult to scratch and easy to clean, and an
inner surface with near-perfect anti-reflection. You would lose 6%
of your light from reflection off of the outside surface, though.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
From: Chris Malcolm on
jean-daniel dodin <jdd(a)dodin.org> wrote:
> Le 07/01/2010 18:45, Neil Harrington a ?crit :

>> Not in my personal experience, but I have read that even a fairly deep
>> scratch is unlikely to make any visible difference in imaging.

> urban legend... may be related to the focal length.

> put a hair on the lens of a smartphone, you can see it (or it's
> shadow). Try the same on a better lens with different aperture. after
> all, experimenting is easy with digital cameras

It's not urban legend, and it's got nothing to do with "better". It's
the simple basic optics of aperture physical size and depth of
field. At f/2.8 at 50mm on a APS-C sized sensor I can photograph
through thick wire netting which becomes completely invisible if it's
less than about two inches from the lens. It so happens that to get a
lens and image sensor of that size you probably have to buy a better
camera, but the quality has nothing to do with the swallowing of
obstructions close to the lens in depth of field. That's just the
basic optics, and would work with a really cheap crappy film camera of
the same dimensions.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: melanie jones on

"Ofnuts" <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote in message
> Consider: naked lens falls on wood table corner: heavy and thick lens
> harder than wood, no damage to lens. Lens with filter falls on wood table
> corner: light and thin filter breaks to pieces, shards make scratches on
> the lens. Hood is better.
>
> --
> Bertrand

I agree and disagree. Last year I dropped a lens with a filter, the filter
broke and hundreds of particals of glass stuck to the lens. Some of the
small particles of glass seemed to be invisible, and over a few months they
would reappear all over the lens, beneath my replacement uv filter. In the
end I scratched the lens itself whilst trying to clean up residual glass
particals.

However, this evening I disovered some totally uncleanable smudges on
another uv filter. It was just impossible to clean with a cloth or a lens
cleaning solution. Out if desperation I dipped it in acetone for 10 seconds
and to my amazement the lens did not dissolve and the dirt came off. On
this occasion I was glad that I had the filter on the lens.