From: Moe Trin on
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <hkcvvi$2mjk$1(a)saria.nerim.net>, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

>Moe Trin a �crit :

>> Now, if your resolver or the immediate name server you are using
>> doesn't include this option (or set things to the designated wild
>> card), your address indications won't be included. I suspect the
>> kernel authors will include a flag in /proc/net/some_where/or/another
>> to control this.

>Huh ? What does the kernel have to do with DNS ?

Probably about as much as responding to pings, or ECN. I'm _guessing_
it's going to be part of the C library resolver function, and I'm not
sure how to "control" that.

Old guy
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Moe Trin a �crit :
> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>
>> Moe Trin a �crit :
>
>>> Now, if your resolver or the immediate name server you are using
>>> doesn't include this option (or set things to the designated wild
>>> card), your address indications won't be included. I suspect the
>>> kernel authors will include a flag in /proc/net/some_where/or/another
>>> to control this.
>
>> Huh ? What does the kernel have to do with DNS ?
>
> Probably about as much as responding to pings, or ECN.

The kernel replies to pings and handles ECN, but AFAIK DNS is completely
userland.

> I'm _guessing_ it's going to be part of the C library resolver function

Probably.

> and I'm not sure how to "control" that.

I guess there'd be some option file in /etc, as usual.
From: Moe Trin on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <toJan.80822$BV.59350(a)newsfe07.iad>, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> jellybean stonerfish wrote:

>>> Even though I was 99% sure you made up the example url,

>> Make it up??? Actually, I tried to conceal the hostname [1]

That footnote should have been a massive clue

>> Well, shucky-darn! It works here! I wonder if your ISP is
>> blocking the address. I think the site is mirrored at 192.0.2.251,
>> 203.0.113.251 and at the IPv6 address
>> 2001:db8::dead:beef:cafe:c633:64fb ;-)

>> [1] COMMENT: RFC5735 just added two more /24s to the "Documentation"
>> IP address ranges. See also RFC5156.

>Hmmm. I don't know if your teasing me or not.

Would _I_ do that? ;-)

>I did add '.com' to the domain and got an active page, but the
>'pub...heals.html' page isn't there.

This isn't so much for your edification as for others, but why did
you assume .com belonged there? http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/
lists no less than 300 "top" level domains in addition to ".com". I
must admit you're probably going to have some web-master who's
reviewing his/her logs wondering what in the heck is going on.

>The mirror IPs don't do anything but hang.

As RFC5156 and RFC5735 require. Sorry.

Old guy