From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
Does this suggestion have a Dark Side?

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010012903135NWNTSD

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.7
^ ^ 19:03:01 up 2 days 3:09 1 user load average: 1.18 1.21 1.14
From: Wanna-Be Sys Admin on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:

> Does this suggestion have a Dark Side?
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010012903135NWNTSD

Stupid, don't know if it's real (didn't bother to check). But, it
should rely on the server with the quickest response. If one's down,
to use the secondary, or so on. DNS already works fine as it is. If
they want to check the closest geographical server, it would be better
to have checks for other things. Anyway, doesn't matter what google
wants to see, luckily they can't change the way it works (though I
understand their influence on some providers). Personally, I'm not too
concerned about this happening or being a requirement.
--
Not really a wanna-be, but I don't know everything.
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
> Stupid, don't know if it's real (didn't bother to check). But, it
> should rely on the server with the quickest response. If one's down,

Thansk

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.7
^ ^ 13:48:01 up 2 days 21:54 1 user load average: 1.20 1.19 1.18
From: Tobias Nissen on
Wanna-Be Sys Admin wrote:
> Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
>> Does this suggestion have a Dark Side?
>>
>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010012903135NWNTSD
>
> Stupid, don't know if it's real (didn't bother to check). But, it
> should rely on the server with the quickest response. If one's down,
> to use the secondary, or so on. DNS already works fine as it is.

Google's proposal is not about DNS speed. It takes into account the
client's network in order to resolve to a host more "fitting" for the
client. It does not try to improve the response times of DNS.
From: David Schwartz on
On Feb 1, 3:04 am, "Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)"
<toylet.toy...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this suggestion have a Dark Side?
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010012903135NWNTSD

It completely defeats the logic of the DNS system. The whole point of
having a DNS server is that you can issue one request and return that
response to any number of clients. There are many places where it
makes sense to figure out the closest server, but bundling it into DNS
seems like one of the worst possible choices to me.

DS
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: NAT hole punching