From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> J G Miller

>>> I also want to install OpenOffice 1.0, which is the only thing that will
>>> run on this old hardware...

You definitely should *not* use OO any version, as it is a resource hog
compared to others, and you have no resources to spare.

>> If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
>> abiword instead?

> Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
> install it?

Abiword is fatter than the default DSL apps, but a *lot* leaner than OO.
A real lot.

You also must realize that DSL, like Puppy, has stripped down its
methods of installation in such a way that you as a newbie will have a
great deal more trouble installing anything unless you play by the DSL
methods or intentions. Puppy has a lot more availability of puppy
programs available for its methods than does DSL.

That being said, DSL does have Abiword in its myDSL repositories.

You should read up on how to use myDSL and install AbiWord that way and
find out if it is too fat for your ram.

--
Mike Easter
posted to cols only
From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> That is definitely *NOT* a P II. That is a P54C, vintage about 1994,
>> plain pentium 100 mhz, not even a pentium mmx which came 3 years later.

> (I don't think the 46 MB RAM is mis-seated either--though that is an
> oddball number).

You need to find out:

-1- how much ram your mobo can use
-2- how many of what kind of ram slots there are (simm/dimm) and how
they can/should be populated
-3- how to (reasonably easily) get your hands on some more ram to
maximize the potential for the machine
-4- the key to 1-3 is determining the mobo with software and also
looking at the mobo for identification and examining its ram slots

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup, alt.comp.linux,
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

> ray

>> Hey NoBalls

> well if it's so fucing easy

And you two are having this petty spat across 3 groups including
homebuilt because...?

.... because RL trollishly started the thread in 3 groups and all of the
replying sheep are cross-posting with him.

--
Mike Easter
posted to cols only
From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> J G Miller

>> If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
>> abiword instead?

> Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
> install it?

You need to -1- identify your mobo -2- upgrade your ram a little or a
lot -3- Use the abiword in myDSL (in this current scenario) and see if
it works

Note that according to Robert Shingledecker (the mydsl guru), abiword
wants 8.5 meg which is a little more than you have left with your paltry
46 megs of ram according to the DSL System Stats you posted earlier.

If you want a graphical interface and enough ram to even think about
running OpenOffice (or an old MS Word under a MS OS for that matter),
you need more ram.

So, then besides upgrading your ram according to your unknown mobo,
considering your target user (you) and target docs (MS Word), you should
consider using pclite w2k or pclite w98se or puppy linux + AbiWord if
you have/get about 128meg, or any linux you like and OO if you have/get
512 meg.

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
William Poaster wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> ... RL trollishly started the thread in 3 groups

> You'll note he uses a pirated version of windoze too.

How/where would I note /that/?

--
Mike Easter