From: Gary Scott on
Steve Lionel wrote:

> jwm wrote:
>

>>I just checked the IVF Include folder, and there is no IFLIB at all
>>(though I'm sure to have used such library in the past). The
>>equivalent to DFLIB is actually provided by three new libraries
>>(IFQWIN, IFCORE and some part of IFPORT)
>

> Correct. Intel Visual Fortran provides a DFLIB module for
> compatibility with CVF, but as you note, the routines which were in
> DFLIB have been split into three individual modules.
>
> Note that in Intel Fortran for Linux, modules IFCORE and IFPORT are
> provided.

Well, you really do need to come up with a cross-platform graphics
library. That's pretty critical nowadays.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott(a)sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

Why are there two? God only knows.

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford
From: Steve Lionel on
Gary Scott wrote:

> Well, you really do need to come up with a cross-platform graphics
> library. That's pretty critical nowadays.

Such libraries already exist. Do we need another one? The GINO
GRAPHICS library is not only cross-platform but also supports multiple
compilers. Then there are open-source libraries others have mentioned.
OpenGL is also cross-platform.

Steve

From: Gary Scott on
Steve Lionel wrote:

> Gary Scott wrote:
>

>>Well, you really do need to come up with a cross-platform graphics
>>library. That's pretty critical nowadays.
>

> Such libraries already exist. Do we need another one? The GINO
> GRAPHICS library is not only cross-platform but also supports multiple
> compilers. Then there are open-source libraries others have mentioned.
> OpenGL is also cross-platform.

I just meant that it needs to come included with the compiler.
Something included, that works on all platforms that you provide
compilers for, so that the source is fully portable across those
platforms, including the graphics. You shouldn't provide something like
quickwin on just one platform (no I don't think quickwin is the right
solution, it could be done better). I don't care which one you select
necessarily, whether open source or home grown or commercial as long as
it has a well designed base functionality. I want a complete, tailored
development environment (ok, I want the world).

From: Gary Scott on
Gary Scott wrote:

> Steve Lionel wrote:
>
>> Gary Scott wrote:
>>

>>> Well, you really do need to come up with a cross-platform graphics
>>> library. That's pretty critical nowadays.
>>

>> Such libraries already exist. Do we need another one? The GINO
>> GRAPHICS library is not only cross-platform but also supports multiple
>> compilers. Then there are open-source libraries others have mentioned.
>> OpenGL is also cross-platform.
>

> I just meant that it needs to come included with the compiler. Something
> included, that works on all platforms that you provide compilers for, so
> that the source is fully portable across those platforms, including the
> graphics. You shouldn't provide something like quickwin on just one
> platform (no I don't think quickwin is the right solution, it could be
> done better). I don't care which one you select necessarily, whether
> open source or home grown or commercial as long as it has a well
> designed base functionality. I want a complete, tailored development
> environment (ok, I want the world).

I guess I should be more clear that I'm including GUI APIs not just
"graphics primitives".

From: jwm on
Gary Scott wrote:
> Steve Lionel wrote:
>
> > Gary Scott wrote:
> >

> >>Well, you really do need to come up with a cross-platform graphics
> >>library. That's pretty critical nowadays.
> >

> > Such libraries already exist. Do we need another one? The GINO
> > GRAPHICS library is not only cross-platform but also supports multiple
> > compilers. Then there are open-source libraries others have mentioned.
> > OpenGL is also cross-platform.
>
> I just meant that it needs to come included with the compiler.
> Something included, that works on all platforms that you provide
> compilers for, so that the source is fully portable across those
> platforms, including the graphics. You shouldn't provide something like
> quickwin on just one platform (no I don't think quickwin is the right
> solution, it could be done better). I don't care which one you select
> necessarily, whether open source or home grown or commercial as long as
> it has a well designed base functionality. I want a complete, tailored
> development environment (ok, I want the world).

And the todo list is even higher, say:
*compiler bundled with the IDE
*array visualizer fully supported
*GUI API for graphics
*Fortran 2003
*...

So, it looks like they just need to go back to CVF, make a bunch of
wrappers to OpenGL, rename their portability library to ISO_C_BINDING,
and...