From: Gary Scott on
beliavsky(a)aol.com wrote:

> Steve Lionel wrote:
>
>>Gary Scott wrote:
>>

>>>I just meant that it needs to come included with the compiler.
>>>Something included, that works on all platforms that you provide
>>>compilers for, so that the source is fully portable across those
>>>platforms, including the graphics. You shouldn't provide something like
>>>quickwin on just one platform (no I don't think quickwin is the right
>>>solution, it could be done better). I don't care which one you select
>>>necessarily, whether open source or home grown or commercial as long as
>>>it has a well designed base functionality. I want a complete, tailored
>>>development environment (ok, I want the world).
>>
>>How much extra would you be willing to pay for this? How much extra do
>>you think most other compiler buyers would be willing to pay to have
>>this capability included? What other sorts of development items (such
>>as F2003 features) would you be willing to trade off for this?
>

> I vote for Fortran 2003 features over a cross-platform GUI.
>
> I write internal software to test trading strategies at a money
> management firm. The output is written to CSV files that the manager
> can open in Excel, and using the "system" extension found in IVF and
> other compilers, graphs can be displayed using Gnuplot. Things were
> similar at the previous financial job I held, except I used Python with
> Numeric. The manager does not care if the program runs from the command
> line, as long as it makes money. When he does want a GUI, Quickwin
> should be fine, or we can buy a 3rd party GUI library. We don't care
> about Linux or OS X. Even if Intel did have a cross-platform GUI, I
> would be reluctant to rely too much on it, because I develop mostly
> with g95. I'd guess that many people writing shrinkwrapped software for
> Windows are comfortable with the .NET tools and can combine them with
> Fortran to build GUIs.
>
> IVF is very slow at compiling compared to g95, gfortran, Lahey/Fujitsu,
> Salford. I'd like to see that addressed.

I think that they could at a minimum cobble a complete product together
from freeware without too much difficulty. However, there are other
vendors that provide this already for about the same price.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott(a)sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

Why are there two? God only knows.

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford
From: Gary Scott on
Richard Maine wrote:

> Steve Lionel <steve.lionel(a)intel.com> wrote:
>

>>Gary Scott wrote:
>>

>>>I just meant that it needs to come included with the compiler.
>

>>How much extra would you be willing to pay for this? How much extra do
>>you think most other compiler buyers would be willing to pay to have
>>this capability included?
>

> Exactly my thought when I saw that. If you want it as an optional
> (presumably extra cost) add-on that you nicely integrate with and make a
> handy single line item on a purchase request, that's fine. (Sort of like
> you do now with the IMSL stuff - maybe part of a "super-professional"
> package or whatever the market droids would want to call it). But if
> Gary is saying that he wants you to force me to pay extra because of
> what he wants in your compiler, well... I think you can imagine from the
> way I describe it what I'd have to say about that.
>
> And if he thinks that it will be included for no extra cost, well...
> might as well throw in a few other dreams as well. Can you add in world
> peace too? :-(

I've no problem with offering low-end, half baked products if they want
to, I just want the opportunity to buy a high end product (from Intel).
Many vendors offer high and low-end versions.