From: Androcles on
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GreensParadox.htm

From: Uncle Ben on
On Aug 5, 9:42 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
>    http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GreensParadox.htm

For my version (which agrees with Einstein), see

www.greenba.com,
"Relativity" link,
article entitled "Androcles and the Einstein Expansion"

Uncle Ben
From: harald on
On Aug 6, 5:59 am, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 9:42 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
>
> >    http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GreensParadox.htm
>
> For my version (which agrees with Einstein), see
>
>  www.greenba.com,
> "Relativity" link,
> article entitled "Androcles and the Einstein Expansion"
>
> Uncle Ben

"The requested URL /www.greenba.com was not found on this server. "

Harald
From: Uncle Ben on
On Aug 7, 7:58 am, harald <h...(a)swissonline.ch> wrote:

> > For my version (which agrees with Einstein), see
>
> >  www.greenba.com,
> > "Relativity" link,
> > article entitled "Androcles and the Einstein Expansion"
>
> > Uncle Ben
>
> "The requested URL /www.greenba.comwas not found on this server. "
>
> Harald

Androcles and the "Einstein Expansion"

In the newsgroup sci.physics.relativity (s.p.r) there is often found
among the cranks and trolls who populate it, to the extent of perhaps
80%, one particularly obnoxious character who calls himself Androcles,
a name from Greek mythology. Androcles published in 2009 a new
interpretation of Einstein's derivation of the Lorentz Contraction,
claiming that by virtue of a simple confusion, Einstein actually
proved that a moving rod is longer, not shorter, than the same rod at
rest. Androcles tells us that Einstein was insane.

The old-timers in s.p.r. advise one not to respond to Androcles's
rantings, but I enjoy the verbal jousting that goes on there, and I
think that unless one confronts him from time to time, the occasional
newcomer to the newsgroup will be gulled into taking hm seriously for
a while. I also believe that when an opponent refuses to admit an
error, one should make the error so clear to everyone else, that his
obstinacy can be seen to be a character flaw, not a defense of his
position.

The reader will find in these pages a link to Einstein's first paper
on relativity. His discussion of the length of moving objects can be
found in Section 4, just after he derives the Lorentz Transformation.
In that section Einstein's demonstration of the contraction caused by
speed is done in three dimensions in a few lines so clearly that no
one can be misled.

Earlier however in Section 3, he has to derive the Lorentz
Transformation and concludes with the four equations of the LT, three
for space and one for time. The equation corresponding to the x axis
of coordinates is

xi = beta(x - vt)

which Androcles seizes upon. (The meaning of the variables is
described in the following:).

Einstein's argument

In his setup for Section 3, Einstein considers two inertial frames of
reference. (The term "inertial" had not been invented at that time, so
he describes them as "frames in which Newton's laws of motion
hold.").

Let K be a system of coordinates x,y,z,t which he calls the
"stationary" system.

Let k be a system that coincides with K at t=0 but is moving towards
the +x direction and has coordinates designated by greek letters xi,
eta, zeta, and tau.

Let a measuring rod lie on the x axis of K (and the xi axis of k). It
is at rest in k (and therefore moving in K). In k, the ends of the rod
are at xi=0 and xi=L0 although Einstein does not use the notation ­
L0..

The question is posed, how long is the rod when measured in K, given
its rest length L0 in k. Einstein describes the relation of the two
systems of coordinates: the origin of k is moving in K as x=vt, where
v is the relative speed and t is the time in system K. That is where
one end (say, the left end) of the rod lies. The right end of the rod
is at some farther point, say x', (measured in K from the origin of
k), on the x axis. Thus x' is a constant we may also call L, the
desired unknown.

Thus the rod lies in K between x=vt and x= vt + L. (Einstein uses x'
instead of L. He writes the equation as x' = x - vt, where x is set
fixed as the K coordinate of the right end of the rod).

In k, the rod lies at rest on the xi axis between xi=0 and, say, xi =
L0 (which Einstein writes as simply xi.).

Deriving the Lorentz Transformation equations, Einstein finds that

xi = beta * x',

or using our terminology, in which Einstein's "beta" is now
universally called "gamma",

L0 = gamma * L

So

L = L0/gamma

This is the Lorentz Contraction.

Enter Androcles

Androcles agrees that xi = gamma*x', but he mixes up x' and xi and
concludes that

L = L0*gamma,

which he describes as the Einstein Expansion.

When confronted with this, Androcles starts dodging. He says he will
discuss this if others will discuss something else first (the
difference between closing speed and relative speed, which are
identical pre-relativity). I complied, whereupon he proposed another
challenge before he would face his error.

I drew the line and called him a coward for not being able to
acknowledge his error.

Hence this article.

UB
7/13/2009