From: lisztfr on
Hi,

Just trying to help my buddy with grub, and discovering that it has
become an unmasterable piece of something, unbelievable thing !

Previously, only 1 file had to be nicely edited (menu.lst), now we are
warned that *nothing* has to be edited... i wonder. One has to run an
update. That's an evolution toward... toward i don't know.

That's unbelievable.

Another thing... With the old grub4dos : sometimes it's :

title DOS/Win9x/Me/NT/2K/XP on (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
rootnoverify (hd0)

but another day (system) :

title 8 - MS-DOS Direct Load io.sys
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/io.sys

On my box with a Promise TX2 controller, only the second work...

hm

From: "Markus R." Keßler on
Am Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:23:18 -0700 schrieb lisztfr:

> Hi,
>
> Just trying to help my buddy with grub, and discovering that it has
> become an unmasterable piece of something, unbelievable thing !
>
> Previously, only 1 file had to be nicely edited (menu.lst), now we are
> warned that *nothing* has to be edited... i wonder. One has to run an
> update. That's an evolution toward... toward i don't know.
>
> That's unbelievable.
>
> Another thing... With the old grub4dos : sometimes it's :
>
> title DOS/Win9x/Me/NT/2K/XP on (hd0,0) chainloader (hd0,0)+1
> rootnoverify (hd0)
>
> but another day (system) :
>
> title 8 - MS-DOS Direct Load io.sys
> root (hd0,0)
> chainloader (hd0,0)/io.sys
>
> On my box with a Promise TX2 controller, only the second work...
>
> hm

Hi,

you had not mentioned which version of (Mandrake) Linux you are using.

But you could put the same message into the

alt.os.linux.mandriva

newsgroup. This one is much more frequently read.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.