From: Michael Chare on
I have a hard disk with multiple operating systems on it.

Startup is controlled by a utility called Bootitng.

In particular I have Ubuntu in (hd0,6) aka sda7 and MythBuntu on (hd0,7) aka
sda8.

I have had much difficutly getting MythBuntu to run at all as the
installation trashed rather more of Bootitng and the details that it store
for the various paritions that I have, than I had bargained for.

I used grub on the Ubuntu volume to install grub on the MythBuntu volume.
IIRC(and I may not as I tried manythings,) I did this using grub-install.

I now have the situation where I can use Bootitng to start the MythBuntu
volume but it uses the menu.lst file actually on the Ubuntu volume.

What I would like is for grub on the MythBuntu volume to use its
/boot/grub/grub.cfg file. How do I achieve that.

--
Michael Chare

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS(a)chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
>I have a hard disk with multiple operating systems on it.
>
> Startup is controlled by a utility called Bootitng.
>
> In particular I have Ubuntu in (hd0,6) aka sda7 and MythBuntu on (hd0,7)
> aka sda8.
>

> I have had much difficutly getting MythBuntu to run at all as the
> installation trashed rather more of Bootitng and the details that it store
> for the various paritions that I have, than I had bargained for.
>
> I used grub on the Ubuntu volume to install grub on the MythBuntu volume.
> IIRC(and I may not as I tried manythings,) I did this using grub-install.
>
> I now have the situation where I can use Bootitng to start the MythBuntu
> volume but it uses the menu.lst file actually on the Ubuntu volume.
>
> What I would like is for grub on the MythBuntu volume to use its
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. How do I achieve that.

Assuming you're using grub version < 1.00

Boot into MythBuntu and become root, type "grub" at the prompt and do the
following:
grub> root (hd0,7)
grub> setup (hd0,7)

Then quit grub and reboot.

--
Geoff

From: Michael Chare on
"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote in
message news:4af3191b$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
> "Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS(a)chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a hard disk with multiple operating systems on it.
>>
>> Startup is controlled by a utility called Bootitng.
>>
>> In particular I have Ubuntu in (hd0,6) aka sda7 and MythBuntu on (hd0,7)
>> aka sda8.
>>

>> I have had much difficutly getting MythBuntu to run at all as the
>> installation trashed rather more of Bootitng and the details that it
>> store for the various paritions that I have, than I had bargained for.
>>
>> I used grub on the Ubuntu volume to install grub on the MythBuntu volume.
>> IIRC(and I may not as I tried manythings,) I did this using grub-install.
>>
>> I now have the situation where I can use Bootitng to start the MythBuntu
>> volume but it uses the menu.lst file actually on the Ubuntu volume.
>>
>> What I would like is for grub on the MythBuntu volume to use its
>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. How do I achieve that.
>>

> Assuming you're using grub version < 1.00
>
> Boot into MythBuntu and become root, type "grub" at the prompt and do the
> following:
> grub> root (hd0,7)
> grub> setup (hd0,7)
>
> Then quit grub and reboot.

Thanks, it would appear that my basic problem is that MythBuntu 9.10 uses
grub-pc aka Grub 2.

Unfortuately the Grub PC install procedure likes to trash my 8mb boot
partition with Bootitng and the EMBR
I need to find out how I can install this on my sda8 volume without changing
the main MBR or EMBR

--
Michael Chare

From: Geoffrey Clements on
> "Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote in
> message news:4af3191b$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

[snip]

>> Assuming you're using grub version < 1.00
>>
>> Boot into MythBuntu and become root, type "grub" at the prompt and do the
>> following:
>> grub> root (hd0,7)
>> grub> setup (hd0,7)
>>
>> Then quit grub and reboot.
>

> Thanks, it would appear that my basic problem is that MythBuntu 9.10 uses
> grub-pc aka Grub 2.
>
> Unfortuately the Grub PC install procedure likes to trash my 8mb boot
> partition with Bootitng and the EMBR
> I need to find out how I can install this on my sda8 volume without
> changing the main MBR or EMBR

mmm - maybe the following words from http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnX86 are
relevant:

You can also install GRUB 2 into a real system by grub-install. The usage is
very similar to the grub-install in GRUB Legacy. But, beware GRUB 2 counts
partitions from 1 and not from 0 like GRUB Legacy! So, increase the numbers.
And, not like GRUB Legacy, it does not understand NTFS.

--
Geoff